Recognizing Ontario's Top Food Exporters
Ontario Supporting Agri-food Success
Ontario is celebrating local food exporters for sharing Ontario made food, beverage and agriculture products with the rest of the world.
The Ontario Food Exporter awards recognize Ontario's food innovators and exporters for their outstanding contributions to expanding Ontario's presence in international markets.
The 2014 winner of the Ontario Food Exporter Award is Super-Pufft Snacks, a snack food company based out of Mississauga that is selling "fun food" to more than 30 countries in five continents.
In addition to the 2014 winner, Super-Pufft Snacks Corp., this year's finalists include:
- Giraffe Food & Beverage Inc, a manufacturing company that is exporting its full-flavoured sauces, dips, and dressings as well as soft drink concentrates for retail, industrial and food service private label customers, in more than 20 countries including the United States, the Caribbean and the Middle East.
- TWI Foods Inc, a company dedicated to growing the South-Asian ethnic food segment in North America by producing fresh and frozen baked goods, and manufacturing snacks and shelf stable products available in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Germany, Japan and Singapore.
Growing the exportation of Ontario agri-food is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- Ontario food exports increased by 10.2 per cent to $11.9 billion in 2013.
- Ontario is home to Canada’s largest food processing sector, accounting for 3,000 businesses that employ about 100,000 people across the province.
- Every $10 million increase in agricultural exports creates 127 new jobs in Ontario.
- Ontario agri-food businesses export to 168 countries around the world.
“The Ontario Food Exporter award winner and finalists represent the entrepreneurial leadership and innovation offered in our province’s agri-food sector. Through drive and innovation, they are helping to create new jobs within the province while building Ontario’s brand around the world as a leader in food safety and quality.”
“Through their global connections and their culturally diverse expertise, the entrepreneurs behind these companies are reaching international markets and helping to keep Ontario competitive.”
“We are honoured to be recognized with the Ontario Food Exporter Award. In the past 20 years, we have become one of North America’s largest manufacturers of store branded snack foods. Thanks to the vision of our team creating innovative, high quality products combined with the support of the export program we are now positioned with an international presence around the world.”