Ontario Helps Boost Production at Lassonde Industries
Province Invests in Local Agri-Food Innovation and Growth
Ontario is enhancing innovation and productivity at a major Toronto area beverage producer to help create sustainable jobs and strengthen the province's food and beverage processing sector.
Ontario is investing $1.5 million through the Jobs and Prosperity Fund - Food and Beverage Growth Fund to help Lassonde Industries purchase and install a new high-speed, Tetra Pak packaging line that will improve efficiencies and allow the company to fill up to 24,000 juice packages per hour - 18,000 more per hour than they can currently fill.
The project will increase productivity, improve water input efficiency and costs, and improve competitiveness allowing Lassonde to expand into new markets. It is expected that the project will create 15 new jobs and help retain 114 current jobs.
Supporting a strong and innovative agri-food industry is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- The Jobs and Prosperity Fund is providing $2.7 billion over 10 years to enhance productivity, bolster innovation and grow Ontario’s exports.
- As part of the Jobs and Prosperity Fund, the Food and Beverage Growth Fund supports food, beverage and bioproduct manufacturing projects that help create and retain jobs, increase domestic and export market access, and enhance innovation and productivity.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 780,000 jobs and contributes more than $34 billion towards the province’s GDP.
- In 2014, Ontario agri-food exports brought in more than $12 billion.
- Lassonde Industries was founded almost 100 years ago in Rougemont Quebec.
“By making strategic investments to support local operations of food processing companies like Lassonde, our government is helping to strengthen our food processing sector, which is a key driver of our economy. We are committed to working with companies in the agri-food sector that have the vision and determination to be innovative and look to seize new market opportunities for their products, while supporting their local communities and employees.”
“Through the Jobs and Prosperity Fund, our government is making strategic investments to enhance productivity, bolster innovation and grow Ontario’s exports. In a fiercely competitive global economy, our government needs to ensure we are at the table to partner with businesses, with a focus on attracting new investment and creating jobs across Ontario communities.”
“Lassonde has been a Canadian company for almost 100 years. During that time we have worked hard to support the communities where our facilities are located, including three in Ontario. With the support of the Ontario government, we will be able to continue to grow, innovate and support Ontario’s agri-food sector.”