Ontario Celebrates Regional Agri-Food Innovators
Recipients Recognized at Award Ceremony in Sudbury
Ontario is recognizing and celebrating local agri-food innovators whose ideas and projects are strengthening the province's agri-food sector.
The regional recipients of the 2015 Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence were honoured during a ceremony in Sudbury today for their contributions to the creation of new products, adding value to existing products, supporting a sustainable environment, helping support job creation, and boosting economic growth in Ontario.
The award recipients in the Algoma, Sudbury, Thunder Bay and Timiskaming Districts are:
- Mill Market - Sault Ste. Marie
- Poschaven Farms - Kenabeek
- Slate River Dairy - Neebing
- Valley Growers Inc. - Blezard Valley
Supporting a strong and innovative agri-food industry is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- In 2015, 50 award recipients will be recognized, including the top Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award, and three Leaders in Innovation award winners.
- Since 2007, a total of 425 producers, processors and agri-food organizations have received a Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 780,000 jobs and contributes more than $34 billion towards the province’s GDP.
- Ontario is home to Canada’s largest food processing sector, accounting for 3,300 businesses that employ over 95,000 people across the province.
“Ontario is known for its leading-edge agri-food sector that continues to grow and foster new innovation and ideas. The 2015 Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence recipients demonstrate creative and ingenious ideas and business concepts. By investing in the success of people and a dynamic and innovative business climate, our government is helping drive the sector’s growth and position Ontario for economic success both at home and abroad.”
“I am pleased to be a part of today’s celebrations and to have the honour of meeting the innovative recipients of the 2015 Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence awards. These are individuals who are helping Ontario’s agri-food sector succeed with projects that are benefitting not only businesses and local communities, but Ontario as a whole.”