Ontario Celebrates Successful Agri-Food Exporters
Province Recognizes Companies Growing Ontario’s Export Market
Today Jeff Leal, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, presented the Ontario Food Exporter Awards to recognize companies that have strengthened the province's economy through increased exports of Ontario manufactured food to new and existing markets.
This year's top award went to Toronto-based TWI Foods Inc for its rapid growth in exporting cake-rusks, cookies, cakes and frozen foods to markets in the UK, the US, Australia, Germany and Singapore during the last two years.
The other two finalists that were recognized are:
- Handi Foods, a leading pita bread and snack food manufacturer in Ontario. Handi Foods bakes and distributes a wide range of frozen flatbreads, snacks and related products for customers in Canada, the United States, Australia and Saudi Arabia.
- Super-Pufft Snacks Corporation, one of North America's largest manufacturers of store branded snack foods. Super-Pufft Snacks Corporation sells popcorn, potato chips and canister crisps to more than 30 countries.
Ontario's first Food Export Road Map to China was also released at the awards presentation. The "how-to" exporting guidebook provides Ontario food and beverage business with practical step-by-step advice to successfully expand into the Chinese market.
Expanding the export growth of the province's agri-food businesses is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Ontario’s first Food Export Road Map is part of the government’s plan to grow the agri-food sector.
- In 2014, Ontario agri-food exports were worth more than $12.5 billion, accounting for 22 per cent of Canada's agri-food exports.
- Ontario agri-food businesses export to 168 countries around the world.
- The U.S., Asia and Europe are the top destinations for Ontario agri-food exports.
- Every $10 million increase in agricultural exports creates 127 new jobs in Ontario.
“Ontario has a world-wide reputation for good quality, delicious foods and these companies are continuing to strengthen that reputation through expansion of Ontario’s food exports to new international markets. By building on our provinces strong network of agri-food exporters, the Export Road Map will help more businesses to reach new markets in China while bringing jobs and prosperity to Ontario.”
“The Ontario Food Exporter Award is a valuable recognition of the determination and hard work of each of our employees, to meet our customers’ expectations, and to grow and expand the company. We are pleased to get the award and very proud of the success we have achieved.”