Ontario Celebrates Agri-Food Innovators in Eastern Ontario
Recipients Honoured at Award Ceremony
Ontario is recognizing the work of local agri-food innovators whose ideas and passion strengthen their businesses, grow the province's agri-food sector, boost the economy and create jobs.
Today, recipients of the 2016 Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence were honoured in Morrisburg during a ceremony hosted by Grant Crack, MPP for Glengarry-Prescott-Russell.
Recipients were recognized for their contributions to boosting economic growth in Ontario by creating new products that help to support job creation, add value to existing products and support a sustainable environment.
The award recipients from Eastern Ontario are:
- FarmLead.com based in Ottawa
- Funny Duck Farms based in Jasper
- New Care Farms Inc. based in Iroquois
- Oat & Mill Ltd. based in Smith Falls
- Scheuermann Vineyard & Winery based in Westport
- V6 Agronomy Inc. based in North Augusta
- Valley Bio Ltd. based in Cobden
Award recipients are also helping Ontario meet the Premier's Agri-Food Growth Challenge by supporting the province's efforts to double the growth rate of the agri-food sector and create 120,000 jobs by 2020.
Supporting a strong and innovative agri-food industry is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Premier’s Awards for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence, established to recognize and foster agri-food innovation across the province.
- In 2016, 50 award recipients will be recognized, including the top Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award, and three Leaders in Innovation award winners.
- All 50 award recipients are also eligible for the Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award and three Leaders in Innovation awards which will be announced in early December.
- Since 2007, a total of 475 producers, processors and agri-food organizations have received a Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 790,000 jobs and contributes more than $36.4 billion towards the province’s GDP.
- Ontario’s food and beverage processing sector remains strong with the presence of more than 3,800 companies, 96,600 jobs across the province.
“I congratulate this year’s winners of the Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. Their commitment to creative ideas strengthens Ontario’s world-class agri-food sector and positions our province for continued economic growth.”
“I am pleased to be a part of today’s celebrations and to have the honour of meeting the innovative recipients of the 2016 Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. These are individuals who are helping Ontario’s agri-food sector succeed with projects that are benefitting not only their business and their local community, but Ontario as a whole.”