Ontario Celebrates Agri-Food Innovators in Toronto and York Region
Recipients Honoured at Award Ceremony
Ontario is recognizing the work of local agri-food innovators whose ideas and passion strengthen their businesses, grow the province's agri-food sector, boost the economy and create jobs.
Today, recipients of the 2016 Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence were honoured in Newmarket during a ceremony hosted by Chris Ballard, Minister of Housing and MPP for Newmarket-Aurora.
Recipients were recognized for their contributions to boosting economic growth in Ontario by creating new products that help to support job creation, add value to existing products and support a sustainable environment.
The award recipients from Toronto and York Region are:
- Agri-Neo Inc., based in Etobicoke
- CleanFARMS Inc., based in Etobicoke
- Culinary Tourism Alliance, based in Toronto
- Dairy Quality Inc., based in Newmarket
- Greenbelt Greenhouse Ltd., based in Gormley
- Prisum Coatings Canada Inc., based in Holland Landing
- Sepha Catering Ltd., based in Toronto
Award recipients also help Ontario meet the Premier's Agri-Food Growth Challenge by supporting the province's efforts to double the growth rate of the agri-food sector and create 120,000 jobs by 2020.
Supporting a strong and innovative agri-food industry is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- This year marks the 10 year anniversary of the Premier’s Awards for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence, established to recognize and foster agri-food innovation across the province.
- In 2016, 50 award recipients will be recognized, including the top Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award and three Leaders in Innovation award winners.
- All 50 award recipients are also eligible for the Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award and three Leaders in Innovation awards, which will be announced in early December.
- Since 2007, a total of 475 producers, processors and agri-food organizations have received a Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 790,000 jobs and contributes more than $36.4 billion towards the province’s GDP.
- Ontario’s food and beverage processing sector remains strong with the presence of more than 3,800 companies, 96,600 jobs across the province.
“I would like to congratulate this year’s winners of the Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. Their commitment to creativity and innovative leaders further strengthens Ontario’s world-class agri-food sector and contributes to our province’s continued economic growth.”
“I am thrilled to host the recipients of the 2016 Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence as we celebrate their innovative work. Today’s recipients are helping support the continued growth of Ontario’s agri-food sector with projects that are not only benefitting their business and their local community, but Ontario as a whole.”
Minister Chris Ballard