Ontario Celebrates Successful Agri-food Exporters
Province Recognizes Companies Growing Ontario’s Export Markets
Ontario is recognizing agri-food companies that have strengthened the province's economy through increased exports of Ontario manufactured food to new international markets.
Today in Breslau, Kathryn McGarry, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry and Daiene Vernile, MPP for Kitchener Centre presented Conestoga Meat Packers with the 2016 Food Exporter Award on behalf of Jeff Leal, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
Conestoga Meat Packers received the award for its global marketing strategy that has focused on exporting its premium quality, fresh pork to key markets such as Japan, China, Mexico and the United States.
This year's finalists were also recognized for their excellence in working with international markets:
- Agrocrop Exports Ltd. - Food processor that has become the one-stop-shop for retail buyers of beans, lentils, chickpeas, quinoa and peas to fill their private label requirements, exporting to the U.S., Venezuela, Chile, and the United Kingdom.
- Super-Pufft Snacks Corporation - One of North America's leading manufacturers of snack foods with successful exports of popcorn, potato chips and canister crisps to more than 30 countries.
Attracting new investment and helping Ontario agri-food companies compete globally is a part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- In 2015, Ontario agri-food exports were valued at more than $14.1 billion, accounting for 22 per cent of Canada's agri-food exports.
- Ontario agri-food products are exported to 171 countries around the world.
- The United States, China (including Hong Kong) and Japan are the top three destinations for Ontario agri-food exports.
“Ontario’s agri-food exporters are helping our economy grow and become more globally competitive. This year’s recipients have successfully launched their businesses overseas by developing high quality products and services that meet the needs of international markets. I am honoured to celebrate their determination to look beyond our borders to further strengthen Ontario’s agri-food industry.”
“I want to congratulate Conestoga Meat Packers on its success in creating new opportunities for their quality food products in international markets. Their hard work and innovative approach is helping drive global demand for food products from Waterloo Region and across Ontario, creating jobs and growing our economy.”
“The proud farmer members of this cooperative and our employees are the foundation of our success. We work together to bring a quality product to the world, a product that our own families have enjoyed for generations. We are pleased with this recognition, one more reason to continue our work in expanding our product internationally.”