Ontario Helping Create Jobs and Boost Economic Growth in Burlington
Province Supporting Growing Local Business
Ontario is helping create good new jobs and boost economic growth in Burlington by supporting the expansion of a local, family-owned fresh produce supplier.
Eleanor McMahon, MPP for Burlington, made the announcement this afternoon at Ippolito Fruit and Produce Limited in Burlington. This support will help Ippolito, Canada's largest fresh spinach packer, grow its business and expand its processing facilities, allowing the company meet growing consumer demand for fresh produce.
This project will help create 82 new positions and retain more than 250 good jobs. The expansion will also include the installation of state-of-the art imaging technology to grade and sort leafy greens, making packing operations more efficient. These improvements will help expand the company's export opportunities across Canada as well as the United States.
Supporting local businesses and Ontario's food and beverage processing sector is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ippolito’s expanding business is helping Ontario meet the Premier’s Agri-Food Growth Challenge by supporting the province’s efforts to double the growth rate of the agri-food sector and create 120,000 jobs by 2020.
- Ontario is investing up to $1.7 million in this project through its Jobs and Prosperity Fund – Food and Beverage Growth Fund.
- The Jobs and Prosperity Fund is providing $2.7 billion over 10 years to enhance productivity, boost innovation and grow Ontario’s exports.As part of the Jobs and Prosperity Fund, the Food and Beverage Growth Fund supports food, beverage and bio-product manufacturing projects that help create and retain jobs, increase domestic and export market access, and enhance innovation and productivity.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 790,000 jobs and contributes more than $36.4 billion towards the province’s Gross Domestic Product.
- Ontario is home to Canada’s largest food processing sector, accounting for 3,300 businesses that employ more than 95,000 people across the province.
- Ippolito has processing and distribution facilities in Burlington and Toronto.
“By investing in innovative food processing companies like Ippolito Fruit and Produce, our government continues to support the further growth of Ontario’s agri-food sector. This support for Ippolito, from the Jobs and Prosperity Fund, will help provide new opportunities for this long-established company, create several jobs and give a boost to Burlington’s local economy.”
“Our government is helping to create good jobs and support Ontario’s food and beverage processing sector through strategic investments like the Jobs and Prosperity Fund. I'm so pleased to see this Fund supporting local success stories, like Ippolito Fruit and Produce Limited, which is expanding to boost our local economy and support the growth of Ontario's agri-food sector.”
“It is great to see a family-owned, homegrown Ontario business like Ippolito thriving, and we are thrilled to be part of its growth. Our support for Ippolito will help create good jobs for people in Burlington, and help the company sharpen its competitive edge and increase its exports to key markets like eastern Canada and the United States, resulting in more people being able to eat healthy and nutritious fresh Ontario spinach.”
“We are very pleased with the Jobs and Prosperity Fund support from the province of Ontario to further the economic growth here in Burlington. This project will bring substantially expanded processing capacity. It will also further our sustainability measures reducing food, energy and water waste while improving shelf-life and creating new jobs in our community.”