Ontario Celebrates Agri-Food Innovators in Northeastern Ontario
Province Honouring Award Recipients
Ontario is recognizing the work of local agri-food innovators whose ideas and passion strengthen their businesses, grow the agri-food sector, boost the economy and create jobs.
2016 Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence recipients are being recognized for their contributions to boosting economic growth in Ontario by creating new products that help to support job creation, add value to existing products and support a sustainable environment.
The award recipients from Northeastern Ontario are:
- Acres of Dreams - Timmins
- Algoma Highlands - Wawa
- Fromagerie Kapuskoise Inc. - Kapuskasing
- Meeker's Management Service - Manitoulin
- Northern Ontario Farm Innovation Alliance - New Liskeard
Award recipients also help Ontario meet the Premier's Agri-Food Growth Challenge by supporting the province's efforts to double the growth rate of the agri-food sector and create 120,000 jobs by 2020.
Supporting a strong and innovative agri-food industry is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- 2016 marked the 10-year anniversary of the Premier’s Awards for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence, established to recognize and foster agri-food innovation across the province.
- In 2016, 50 award recipients were recognized, including the top Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award, and three Leaders in Innovation award winners.
- Since 2007, a total of 475 producers, processors and agri-food organizations have received a Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 790,000 jobs and contributes more than $36.4 billion towards the province’s GDP.
- Ontario’s food and beverage processing sector remains strong with the presence of more than 3,800 companies, 96,600 jobs across the province.
“I congratulate this year’s winners of the Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. Their commitment to creative ideas strengthens Ontario’s world-class agri-food sector and positions our province for continued economic growth.”
“I am pleased to congratulate the innovative recipients of the 2016 Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. These individuals are helping Ontario’s agri-food sector succeed with projects that are benefitting not only their business and their local community, but Ontario as a whole.”