Supporting Local Food and Beverage Businesses
Ontario and Canada Helping Grow in Ontario’s Food and Beverage Industry
The provincial and federal governments are supporting Ontario's food and beverage processing sector by helping local businesses expand production, meet consumer demand and create good jobs.
Ontario Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Jeff Leal made the announcement today at Beau's All Natural Brewing Company, in Vankleek Hill, along with Glengarry-Prescott-Russell MP Francis Drouin, on behalf of Federal Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Lawrence MacAulay. This support has allowed the craft brewer to upgrade its automated bottling line, increasing productivity and growing the business, which helped create new jobs.
Beau's is one of 223 Growing Forward 2 recipients across Ontario. The program helps to achieve the federal government's goal to create good jobs in food processing and help food processors develop products that reflect changing market tastes and new opportunities.
Supporting jobs and growing local businesses in Ontario's food and beverage industry is part of the provincial government's plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- The food and beverage processing industry employs 246,000 Canadians – the largest manufacturing employer in Canada.
- The provincial and federal governments are investing approximately $11.7 million towards 223 projects across the province.
- Beau’s All Natural Brewing Co., in Vankleek Hill, received $96,659 through Growing Forward 2 to support the implementation of an automated bottling line.
- Approximately $632,000 has been invested in nine projects across Eastern Ontario.
- Growing Forward 2 was launched in 2013 and is a five-year commitment by Canada’s federal, provincial and territorial governments to support Canada's agri-food and agri-based products sector.
- Beau’s All Natural Brewery Co. is also guiding an effort to establish a women-owned-and-operated brewery in Rwanda, to be dedicated to empowerment and local social benefit.
“By supporting food and beverage processors in Ontario, we are helping businesses like Beau’s All Natural Brewing Co. expand to become more competitive both here at home and abroad. A robust agri-food sector encompasses a strong value-chain including producers, processors and consumers. By working together, we will meet the Premier’s Agri-Food Growth Challenge of doubling the sector’s growth and creating 120,000 new jobs by 2020.”
“Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company is an innovative and community-minded company. We’re proud to make this strategic investment to help them increase productivity, meet consumers’ demand and create jobs in Glengarry-Prescott-Russell. This investment of $11.7 million to Ontario’s entrepreneurial food and beverage makers is helping this vital sector reach new heights – by being more competitive, more innovative and supporting the creation of many good jobs.”
“By investing in sustainable businesses such as Beau’s All Natural Brewing Co. our government is supporting the economic growth of eastern Ontario while building up our province’s food and beverage processing sector. I’m pleased to be here today to see first-hand the results of our investments, which are helping grow communities like Vankleek Hill and our province’s broader agri-food sector.”
“Our reality is that we have the growth rate of a high-tech firm, but the capital requirements of a manufacturing operation. This assistance has allowed us to grow faster, and that growth has led to dozens of new employees at our family run, employee-owned brewery.”