Boosting Economic Growth in Eastern Ontario
Province Renewing Rural Economic Development Program
Ontario is bolstering economic growth in rural and Indigenous communities across the province by supporting projects that diversify and grow local economies through the renewed Rural Economic Development (RED) program.
Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Jeff Leal made the announcement today in Northumberland County along with Lou Rinaldi, MPP for Northumberland - Quinte West. Ontario is now accepting applications for the RED program, which will provide support to local projects that will attract investment, create jobs and boost economic growth in rural communities.
The RED program has helped Northumberland County develop innovative online employment supports that prepare and match residents seeking employment to local business needs, creating jobs and boosting economic growth in the region.
Supporting economic growth in rural and Indigenous communities is part of our plan to create jobs, grow the economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Applications for the RED program are now being accepted from rural communities, Indigenous communities and organizations and not-for-profit organizations.
- Rural communities can use this support to remove barriers to economic growth and help attract investment through initiatives such as creating a strategic economic development plan.
- Ontario is investing $5 million in funding annually under the RED Program to support community economic development.
- The project announced today is one of 14 approved RED community projects in Eastern Ontario, representing a total investment of more than $1.2 million.
- Northumberland County received more than $35,000 for the creation of two online programs that direct residents to local training and local jobs.
- Since 2013, the Rural Economic Development program has committed more than $8 million towards almost 160 community economic development projects, generating over $25 million in new economic activity and creating and supporting more than 600 jobs.
“Investing in local projects that help attract investment and create jobs is a vital component of our plan to boost economic growth in Eastern Ontario. The renewed RED program will support municipalities and organizations in the region by identifying and addressing barriers to long-term growth and helping to shape a strong future for our rural communities.”
“Our government is committed to ensuring our rural communities thrive today and for years to come. I am pleased that the renewed RED program is now accepting applications. This important program will help communities like Northumberland County continue to grow and prosper, generating economic activity and creating good jobs.”
“I would like to thank the government of Ontario for providing funding through the RED program supporting the efforts of the Community Employment Resource Partnership that has helped to further economic renewal and prosperity in the region.”