Boosting Competitiveness for Greenhouses through Innovation
Province Supporting New Technology, Productivity and Growth in Greenhouse Sector
Ontario is enhancing the competitiveness of the greenhouse sector by supporting the development of innovative new technologies, encouraging investments in greenhouse agriculture and boosting productivity.
Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Jeff Leal made the announcement today at Link Greenhouses in Bowmanville. New provincial support will help Ontario's greenhouse sector maintain its leadership position in Canada while also growing its export markets.
The Greenhouse Competitiveness and Innovation Initiative will help the sector to create, adopt and invest in innovative new technologies to reduce production costs, increase productivity and improve produce quality, enabling operations to expand their businesses, attract new investment and create good jobs. Ontario will also continue to provide the greenhouse sector with supports to foster jobs and economic prosperity in the province.
Supporting growth and competitiveness in Ontario's agri-food industry is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario’s greenhouse sector grows by 150 acres per year, with greenhouses currently making up a total 2,876 acres across the province.
- Ontario has about 3,000 acres of greenhouses, representing almost half of the greenhouse sector of Canada.
- The greenhouse sector is an important part of the provincial economy, contributing nearly 10 per cent of the province’s agri-food sector jobs and GDP.
- Last year Ontario’s greenhouse sector and related value chain supported over 81,000 jobs and $3.2 billion in GDP.
- The province is providing $19 million to support the Greenhouse Competitiveness and Innovation Initiative.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector contributes more than $36.4 billion towards the province’s GDP and supports nearly 800,000 jobs. In March 2016, the Ontario government hosted an Ontario Greenhouse Sector Inter-Ministerial Roundtable on Competitiveness with government and industry to collectively discuss opportunities that support greenhouse sector growth.
“Ontario’s greenhouse sector is a vital part of our province’s growing agri-food sector, and a national leader in greenhouse production, technology and exports. Our government recognizes that innovation is key to encouraging continued investment, fostering competitiveness, creating jobs and expanding economic opportunities across Ontario. This important investment will allow Ontario’s greenhouse sector to continue to expand, enhancing economic growth and creating good jobs right here in Ontario.”
“Ontario's greenhouse sector is a major contributor to the provincial economy. We appreciate the Government of Ontario's support and recognition of the need to invest in our future as well as work with our members on challenges facing Ontario’s greenhouse sector. This funding will support the continued growth of our sector and its capacity to create jobs, drive exports and provide a reliable supply of locally grown greenhouse products for Ontario consumers.”
“We are extremely pleased with the announcement made by Minister Leal today. We are very optimistic with the prospects of continuing our work with the Government of Ontario to determine how we ensure a vibrant and sustainable future for our province's greenhouse sector.”
“Today’s announcement confirms the Government of Ontario’s understanding of the greenhouse sector’s contribution to the economic success of the province through our investment, innovation, job creation, productivity and world competitiveness. This funding, announced by Jeff Leal, our Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs will help keep our quality ‘Grown in Ontario’ products as first choice for North American consumers.”