Ontario Celebrates Agri-Food Innovators in Dufferin, Haldimand, Norfolk, Perth and Wellington Counties
Local Recipients Honoured at Awards Ceremony
Ontario is recognizing the work of local innovators whose ideas and passion are helping grow and strengthen the province's agri-food sector.
Kathryn McGarry, MPP for Cambridge, hosted a ceremony in Cambridge today to recognize Dufferin, Haldimand, Norfolk, Perth and Wellington Counties' recipients of this year's Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
The awards honour the contributions of hard-working and innovative people across the province who are creating new agri-food products, adding value to existing products, supporting job creation and building economic growth in Ontario.
The award recipients from the Dufferin, Haldimand, Norfolk, Perth and Wellington Counties are:
- Holmes Agro, based in Dufferin County
- Innovative Farmers Association of Ontario, based in Dufferin County
- Spring Knoll Dairy Inc., based in Haldimand County
- Woolleys' Lamb, based in Norfolk County
- Perth County Ingredients, based in Perth County
- Bioenterprise Corporation, based in Wellington County
- CanWest DHI, based in Wellington County
- Green Table Foods, based in Wellington County
- Jewels Under the Kilt, based in Wellington County
- Thatcher Farms Butcher Shop, Bakery & Farm Market, based in Wellington County
Supporting innovation in agriculture is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- This year, 50 innovators are receiving regional awards. All 50 award recipients are also eligible for the Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award and three Leaders in Innovation awards, which will be announced in December.
- Since 2007, the program has received more than 1,700 nominations, with $4.25 million distributed to 525 award-winning innovators.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 800,000 jobs and contributes more than $37 billion towards the province’s gross domestic product.
“I am pleased to be a part of today’s celebrations and to have the honour of meeting the innovative recipients of the 2017 Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. These individuals are helping Ontario’s agri-food sector thrive with initiatives that not only benefit their businesses but grow their local economy.”
“Year after year, these awards showcase outstanding individuals across the province whose innovative ideas are helping grow Ontario’s agri-food sector for today and tomorrow. I’d like to congratulate this year’s recipients and thank them for their commitment to strengthening Ontario’s world-class agri-food sector and positioning our province for continued economic growth.”