Ontario Celebrates Agri-Food Innovators in Eastern Region
Local Recipients Honoured at Awards Ceremony
Ontario is recognizing the work of local innovators whose ideas and passion are helping grow and strengthen the province's agri-food sector.
Grant Crack, MPP for Glengarry-Prescott-Russell, hosted a ceremony in Casselman today to recognize Eastern region recipients of this year's Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
The awards honour the contributions of hard-working and innovative Ontarians who are creating new agri-food products, adding value to existing products, supporting job creation and building economic growth in Ontario.
The award recipients from Eastern region are:
- Farmersville Community Abattoir, based in Leeds & Greenville County
- Funny Duck Farms, based in Leeds & Grenville County
- Ferme Avicole Laviolette Ltee, based in Prescott & Russell County
- Kula Farm, based in Renfrew County
- Old 4th Hop Yard, based in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry County
Supporting innovation in agriculture is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- This year, 50 innovators are receiving regional awards. All 50 award recipients are also eligible for the Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award and three Leaders in Innovation awards, which will be announced in December.
- Since 2007, the program has received more than 1,700 nominations, with $4.25 million distributed to 525 award-winning innovators.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 800,000 jobs and contributes more than $37 billion towards the province’s gross domestic product.
“I am pleased to be a part of today’s celebrations and to have the honour of meeting the innovative recipients of the 2017 Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. These are individuals who are helping Ontario’s agri-food sector succeed with projects that are benefitting not only their business and their local community, but Ontario as a whole.”
“Year after year, these awards showcase outstanding individuals across the province whose innovative ideas are helping grow Ontario’s agri-food sector for today and tomorrow. I’d like to congratulate this year’s recipients and thank them for their commitment to strengthening Ontario’s world-class agri-food sector and positioning our province for continued economic growth.”