Ontario Celebrates Agri-Food Innovators in Southwestern region
Local Recipients Honoured at Awards Ceremony
Ontario is recognizing the work of local innovators whose ideas and passion are helping grow and strengthen the province's agri-food sector.
Deb Matthews, MPP for London North Centre, hosted a ceremony in London today to recognize southwestern region recipients of this year's Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
The awards honour the contributions of hard-working and innovative people across the province who are creating new agri-food products, adding value to existing products, supporting job creation and building economic growth in Ontario.
The award recipients from southwestern region are:
- Wylie Mycologicals Ltd., based in Grey County
- Par-Chier Farms Ltd., based in Huron County
- Fresh Air Media, based in Middlesex County
- Heeman Strawberry Farm, based in Middlesex
- Clear Creek Farms Inc., based in the Municipality of Chatham Kent
- Tomecek Agronomy Services Inc., based in the Municipality of Chatham Kent
- Veritas Farm Business Management, based in the Municipality of Chatham Kent
- Shorequip Sandy Shores Farm Ltd., based in Norfolk County
- Twin Creeks Greenhouse Inc., based in Lambton County
Supporting innovation in agriculture is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- This year, 50 innovators are receiving regional awards. All 50 award recipients are also eligible for the Premier’s Award, Minister’s Award and three Leaders in Innovation awards, which will be announced in December.
- Since 2007, the program has received more than 1,700 nominations, with $4.25 million distributed to 525 award-winning innovators.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 800,000 jobs and contributes more than $37 billion towards the province’s gross domestic product.
“I am pleased to be a part of today’s celebrations and to have the honour of meeting the innovative recipients of the 2017 Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. These individuals are helping Ontario’s agri-food sector thrive with initiatives that not only benefit their businesses but grow their local economy.”
“Year after year, these awards showcase outstanding individuals across the province whose innovative ideas are helping grow Ontario’s agri-food sector for today and tomorrow. I’d like to congratulate this year’s recipients and thank them for their commitment to strengthening Ontario’s world-class agri-food sector and positioning our province for continued economic growth.”