Ontario Helping to Create Jobs and Boost Economic Growth in London
Province Partnering with Dr.Oetker Canada to Support More Than 200 Jobs in London
Ontario is partnering with Dr. Oetker Canada, a multinational food and foodservices business, to support a new, high-speed frozen pizza manufacturing line that will help to create 103 jobs and retain 115 positions and boost competitiveness in London.
The investment through Ontario's Jobs and Prosperity Fund will help Dr. Oetker Canada invest in a new production line that includes dough preparation, baking, toppings, freezing and packaging equipment. The new line will be unique in that it will use high-speed press technology to manufacture both the smaller (1 to 2 serving size) and the larger (family-size) pizzas. The overall production rate of the facility will nearly double from 10,000 to 18,000 pizzas per hour.
Supporting a strong and innovative food processing sector is part of the government's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, and free preschool child care from 2 ½ to kindergarten.
- Ontario is investing up to $7 million in this project through the Jobs and Prosperity Fund – Food and Beverage Growth Fund. The investment will help to increase the amount of Ontario inputs that Dr. Oetker Canada uses from $9.4 million to $23.3 million per year, which will have a significant impact on the agri-food supply chain.
- As part of the Jobs and Prosperity Fund, the Food and Beverage Growth Fund supports food, beverage and bio-product manufacturing projects that help create and retain jobs, increase domestic and export market access and enhance innovation and productivity.
- Dr. Oetker Canada Ltd. is the Canadian division of the Oetker Group, a multinational food and foodservices corporation with headquarters in Germany and operations throughout Europe, Asia and the Americas. Canadian operations are located in Mississauga, Ontario.
- Since 2013, the Jobs and Prosperity Fund has committed more than $830 million to 35 projects, leveraging over $10.9 billion in total investment, which is helping to create and retain over 46,000 jobs.
- Ontario is home to Canada’s largest food processing sector, accounting for more than 4,000 businesses locations that employ almost 94,500 people across the province.
“Our government’s investment in Dr. Oetker Canada Ltd. will help secure a $54.5 million foreign direct investment in Ontario’s food processing sector and position the plant to compete globally. This will in turn help create and retain jobs, boost London’s local economy and support the competitiveness and further growth of Ontario’s agri-food sector.”
“This support for Dr. Oetker Canada demonstrates how strategic partnerships through the Jobs and Prosperity Fund leverage much larger private sector investments in our key industry clusters. By enhancing technology, the London plant becomes more competitive and generates increased economic activity throughout the agri-food supply chain.”
“Dr. Oetker has been committed to Canada since 1960. Receiving this support from the province will strengthen our capacity to further innovate, and drive exports. It will also translate into the ability to continue to serve our Canadian customers and consumers with premium quality products in a sustainable and competitive manner.”
Cécile Van Zandijcke