Ontario Whipping Up Sweet Success at East York Bakery
Province Partnering with Mondelez Canada to Support More Than 450 Jobs in East York
Ontario is partnering with Mondelez Canada, a major Toronto area food manufacturer and the home of Oreo and Ritz, on an expansion project that will support more than 450 jobs in the community.
Jeff Leal, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, made the announcement today in East York, where Mondelez Canada has started a major modernization and expansion project.
The investment through Ontario's Jobs and Prosperity Fund will support opportunities in master baking, technician and engineering skills development, and will allow the company to:
- Expand the production plant
- Install two new bakery lines
- Upgrade an existing bakery line
- Create new products.
Supporting a strong and innovative food processing sector is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and over 65, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- Ontario is investing up to $22.6 million in Mondelez Canada’s more than $130 million modernization and expansion project through the Jobs and Prosperity Fund – Food and Beverage Growth Fund. The cutting-edge facility will stimulate new product innovation, and keep the bakery competitive in the global agri-food marketplace as 50 per cent of products made in the East York bakery will be exported, boosting Ontario’s export economy.
- As part of the Jobs and Prosperity Fund, the Food and Beverage Growth Fund supports food, beverage and bio-product manufacturing projects that help create and retain jobs, increase domestic and export market access and enhance innovation and productivity.
- Since 2013, the Jobs and Prosperity Fund has committed more than $830 million to 35 projects, leveraging over $10.9 billion in total investment, which is helping to create and retain over 46,000 jobs.
- Ontario is home to Canada’s largest food processing sector, employing 94,500 people across the province.
“Since the 1950s, this facility has provided employment opportunities, supported local wheat farmers and other ingredient suppliers and developed new products to help increase Ontario’s profile in international markets. By making strategic investments to support local operations of food processing companies like Mondelez Canada, our government is helping to strengthen our agri-food sector and province.”
“Through strategic relationships like this one with Mondelez Canada, Ontario’s Jobs and Prosperity Fund is helping companies boost innovation, productivity and exports. Working to attract business investment is part of our government’s strategy to build an Ontario where businesses and workers can thrive in a changing global economy.”
Steven Del Duca
“The Mondelez-Peek Freans plant in East York has been a significant local employer for nearly 70 years. Today’s massive investment will help Mondelez Canada expand local production, create more jobs, and support greater prosperity in our community.”
“Working with the government of Ontario is one of the highlights of my tenure at Mondelez Canada. This investment, added to our own, will help us progress on our journey towards manufacturing excellence, which ensures that our products can continue to be made in the province. This investment brings state-of-the-art equipment, and the opportunity to increase the skills of our people in new and exciting ways, supporting jobs at the site. All this will enable us to remain globally competitive and help grow Ontario’s agri-food exports.”
Juan Carlos Torres Rodriguez