Ontario Celebrates Farmers During Agriculture Week
Harvesting Appreciation for Those Who Grow All the Good Things in Ontario
WOODSTOCK - Ontario is celebrating the 21st Agriculture Week from October 7-13, 2019. This year, we thank our hardworking farmers for growing and making the food we enjoy throughout the year.
"Agriculture week is an excellent opportunity to celebrate our hardworking farmers," said Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. "Our government is proud to support Ontario's agri-food industry. As major contributors to our province's economy, I encourage everyone to support our farmers and buy the good things that grow in Ontario."
As you prepare for Thanksgiving this weekend, there are many ways to recognize and support Ontario's farmers:
- Visit a farmers' market, on-farm market, pick-your-own farm or farmgate. Don't forget, you can also pick up Ontario wines and Craft ciders at farmers' markets. Check the map for a location close to you.
- Look for the Foodland Ontario logo when you're shopping in local grocery stores to know you're buying Ontario.
- Find a classic or try a new recipe for your Thanksgiving feast - check out these seasonal recipes featured by Foodland Ontario.
- Make it possible for other Ontario families to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal by donating food items, money or time to your local food bank, food program or another charitable organization.
Buying local food supports and shows appreciation for farmers, strengthens communities, supports a sustainable environment, creates jobs and boosts the economy.
- Ontario is home to almost 46,900 farms that grow more than 200 agricultural commodities.
- The Ontario agri-food sector supports more than 837,000 jobs in Ontario and contributes more than $47.5 billion each year to the province’s economy.
- For more than 40 years, Foodland Ontario has connected with families on how to recognize, prepare and enjoy locally grown foods.
- To know when all your local fruits and vegetables are in season, visit Foodland Ontario’s Availability Guide.