McGuinty Congratulates Peterborough For Quick Action
First Batch Of Cheques For Flood Victims Available Thursday
QUEEN'S PARK -- Premier Dalton McGuinty today congratulated the City of Peterborough for delivering provincial relief quickly by making the first batch of cheques for flood victims available for pickup on Thursday, July 29.
"I want to thank the City of Peterborough for its quick action in delivering funds to the victims of the recent flood," Premier McGuinty said. "I also want to recognize the extraordinary efforts of all those who have pitched in to help their friends and neighbours during this very difficult time."
"Doing our part to help Peterborough recover from the flood is part of our commitment to growing strong, safe, livable communities in Ontario."
On July 21, Premier McGuinty announced $5 million in advance assistance for those hardest hit by the flood. Each household will receive $500 in interim assistance. Families whose income is less than $24,000 and experienced extreme financial difficulty will receive up to $6,000 for expenses such as lost income, rent or special medical needs.
So far, the City of Peterborough has processed some 1,300 claims for advance emergency assistance.
"We're working hard to help ensure that the people most affected by this flood get help as quickly as possible," Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing John Gerretsen said. "The level of cooperation between the City of Peterborough and our government has made this one of the fastest deliveries of financial assistance to victims of a natural disaster in Ontario's history."
"I'm proud of the people of Peterborough for the way they have pitched in to help one another and keep local businesses and tourist attractions open," said Premier McGuinty. "Our government will continue to support your efforts."