Summary Of Julian Fantino's Career
Julian Fantino's appointment as Commissioner of Emergency Management builds on a distinguished policing career that spans four decades. Julian Fantino brings to his appointment a wealth of experience in policing and emergency management.
Background -- Police Service
1964 -- 1991: Joined the Metropolitan Toronto Police Force as an auxiliary police officer. Appointed police constable of the Metropolitan Toronto Police Force in 1969. Promoted through various ranks, leaving the force as acting staff superintendent.
1991 -- 1998: Chief of London Police Service
1998 -- 2000: Chief of York Regional Police Service
2000 -- 2005: Chief of Toronto Police Service
A selection of recent professional contributions
- Directed the policing response for the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) outbreak and the August 16 power blackout (both 2003)
- Directed the development and implementation of an upgraded emergency response plan for the Toronto Police Service (since 2002)
- Responsible for security for the Papal visit (July 2002)
- Speaker at the World Conference on Disaster Management hosted by the Canadian Centre for Emergency Preparedness, entitled "The Changing Face of Disaster Management" (July 2002)
- Canadian police representative to the conference "Law Enforcement in the Era of Global Terror," Tel Aviv, Israel (January 2003)
- Group leader to the Federal Bureau of Investigation Leadership in Counter-Terrorism Program -- Edinburgh, Scotland (September -- December 2004)
- Participant in the "Post September 11, 2001, Terrorist Attacks Management Briefings," held by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the New York Police Department (2001/02)
- Developed an "Intelligence Officer Exchange Program" with the New York City Police Department (since 2002)
- Made submission to the Senate Standing Committee on National Security and Defence on the threat of terrorism (May 2002)
- National delegate to the International Interpol Conference -- Cancun, Mexico (October 2004).
Selected awards and recognitions
- Appointed Commander of the Order of the Police Forces by the Government of Canada (2003)
- Appointed a Member of the Order of Ontario by the Government of Ontario (2004)
- Awarded the Commander of the Order of Merit to the Republic of Italy (2002)
- 30-Year Police Exemplary Service Medal (1999)
- Order of St. John (2001)
- Recipient of the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal
- Recipient of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Civil Rights Award in Law Enforcement, Education/Prevention (2002).