Ontario Delegates Sign Agreements In Shanghai
Premier Dalton McGuinty is leading an Ontario trade mission in China to stress the themes of education, innovation and investment. Ontario's delegation includes more than 125 people from approximately 100 organizations, representing private sector companies, universities and colleges, municipalities, agricultural organizations and medical research institutions.
Members of Ontario's delegation participated in signing agreements with Chinese officials in Shanghai that included partnerships in architecture and design, broadband services and educational programs.
Ontario's Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology is entering into the following:
- An agreement with Nanjing University of Technology to offer advanced standing at Algonquin to Nanjing students from selected programs of study.
- An agreement with Fuyang no. 1 Middle School that will place Canadian English teachers from Algonquin at the school to teach English-as-a-second language (ESL) to senior high school students. After graduation, these students will continue their education at Algonquin College.
- An agreement with Don-Zhan Educational Development Co. Ltd. that will deliver an ESL program in Shanghai to corporate executives and students wishing to improve their English in preparation for studies abroad.
- An agreement with the Multimedia School at Shanghai University to share Algonquin's animation curriculum. Students at Shanghai University will receive Algonquin College accreditation and the option to transfer to Algonquin.
- An agreement with Shandong Jiaotong University.
Ontario's Centre for Education and Training is entering into the following:
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Hong Kou Civic District that will deliver professional development language training to Chinese teachers who teach English in Hong Kou District and Shanghai in China, and in Mississauga, Ontario. This agreement will also include the delivery of children's vacation school language camps in the same locations and the development of an environmental science curriculum and E-learning system to support English language studies.
- An agreement with the Tianjin Tanggu District School Board that will deliver professional development language training to Chinese teachers who teach English in Tanggu District and Tianjin in China, and in Mississauga, Ontario. They are also agreeing to the delivery of children's vacation school language camps in the same locations.
- An agreement with the Tianjin Institute of Foreign Economic Relations and Trade that will deliver English language assessment services and English language training.
Architecture and Design
In the architecture and design sector, Ontario firms are entering into the following:
- An agreement between Ontario-based Bregmann and Hamann (B+H) Architects Ltd. and Yuexing Group to design the Shanghai Universal Home Decoration Exposition Center, the largest retail furniture shopping centre in Asia. B+H Architects has had a presence in Shanghai for 15 years.
- An agreement between Ontario-based BTI Photonic Systems Inc. and Alcatel Chengdu Communications that will see BTI provide Alcatel-branded versions of BTI's Netstender system to Alcatel Chengdu for sale in China.
Ontario-based VisImage Systems Inc. has also announced the release of the Chinese edition of the BoSS-21, a tool that measures the human body and recommends correct garment and equipment sizes. The system is currently being used by the Canadian Forces.