Ontario-Jiangsu Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU)
Premier Dalton McGuinty recognized Ontario 's special relationship with the Chinese province of Jiangsu , China by signing a renewed Memorandum of Understanding and Friendship with its Governor, Liang Baohuo.
Twenty years ago, Ontario and Jiangsu first signed a Friendship Accord, which paved the way for Ontario in China by fostering closer economic, educational, institutional and government ties between the two jurisdictions.
Under the renewed agreement:
- The Ontario-Jiangsu Business Council will be created to promote two-way trade and investment and make recommendations to both the Ontario and Jiangsu governments.
- Ontario district schools boards will be encouraged to develop closer ties with Jiangsu public schools and postsecondary institutions will be assisted to develop exchange programs and possibly joint-degree programs.
- Ontario will host a jointly-organized Education Forum in 2006.
- Ties will be promoted between Ontario 's public libraries and Jiangsu Provincial Library.
- TVOntario and TV Jiangsu will explore opportunities for joint ventures.
- Ministry of Transportation and Jiangsu Communications Department will develop an exchange program on transportation planning, design, road maintenance and Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Exchange programs will be developed for researchers and students focusing on life sciences, information and communications technologies, and materials and advanced manufacturing.
- Increased collaboration will take place in the areas of agricultural and natural resources and an Environmental Sub-agreement will focus on energy conservation, environmental sciences and source water protection.
- Ontario and Jiangsu will support cooperative agreements between hospitals in the two provinces. Both governments will endorse the importance of information sharing during public health emergencies.