Memorandum of understanding between the Government of Ontario and the Government of Quebec on energy
This memorandum of understanding is entered into this 2nd day of June 2008 by and between the Governments of Ontario and Québec.
WHEREAS both Ontario and Québec are actively pursuing greater energy efficiency and conservation and demand management through various programs, standards and codes and desire to enhance cooperation in this regard.
AND WHEREAS Ontario and Québec agree to develop and enhance a modern, reliable, environmentally safe and efficient series of transmission and transportation networks for domestic and export/import sources of energy.
AND WHEREAS both Ontario and Québec are aggressively pursuing new and emerging renewable energy sources and recognize that there may be opportunities to benefit by jointly addressing new initiatives.
AND WHEREAS Ontario and Québec wish to enhance, in the long term, mutual interconnectedness for clean and renewable energy exchanges.
AND WHEREAS both Ontario and Québec recognize compatibilities between their respective electricity systems.
AND WHEREAS both Ontario and Québec share electrical interconnections between themselves and other jurisdictions, and recognize the efficiency and reliability benefits of greater cooperation on electricity system operation and improved interconnectedness.
AND WHEREAS both Ontario and Québec are actively engaging in long-term energy system planning for their respective areas and wish to explore opportunities for cooperation and mutual benefit in these planning exercises.
AND WHEREAS both Ontario and Québec have historically cooperated to share resources under emergency conditions in the energy sector and recognize that there are benefits in formalizing this mutually beneficial practice and exploring opportunities for greater cooperation during emergency reliability situations.
AND WHEREAS Ontario and Québec wish to consider, in the longer term, their joint position in the broader regional energy context, outside the shared economic space.
AND WHEREAS Ontario and Québec wish to record their mutual objectives regarding areas of potential cooperation on energy in order to provide a framework to guide future discussions and agreements.
NOW THEREFORE, the signatories to this Memorandum agree to collaborate in Energy. This collaboration shall include, but is not limited to:
- Working together to improve knowledge sharing on energy efficiency, conservation and demand management, and to identify and act on opportunities for harmonization of related standards, codes and programs.
- Working towards joint technological and policy development for emerging and renewable energy technologies, including exploration of opportunities for joint research and research networks on renewable energy, and opportunities for shared ownership and commercialization of joint research.
- Mandating respective entities to explore ways to enhance interconnectedness for clean and renewable energy exchanges, based on identifying and addressing financial, institutional and physical barriers to those exchanges.
- Building on synergies between the two provinces' electricity systems and work toward more interconnected electricity systems by identifying and acting on opportunities to improve planning coordination, cooperate on system operations, and encourage greater electricity interconnectedness, where practical.
- Continuing to explore opportunities and developing principles for cooperation during energy emergencies and enhanced cooperation during emergency reliability situations.
- Exploring principles and opportunities for development and harmonization of broader regional energy systems, including extrajurisdictional cooperation where practical.
The signatories to this Memorandum agree to direct their respective staff and appropriate agencies to meet as soon as is practical to develop a work plan to deliver this initiative.