Making It Easier For Business To Create Jobs
Ontario Making Government Faster And More Convenient
Ontario will make it easier for businesses to work with government so they can focus on what they do best -- creating jobs.
The Open for Business strategy is an ongoing plan to make government faster and friendlier for families and businesses. As part of the strategy, the government is introducing three initiatives:
- The government will reduce the amount of regulation in Ontario by 25 per cent in the next two years.
- A new 1-800 number will provide businesses with a single contact for government information. Instead of calling 12 different numbers, people will only need to call one.
- Ontario businesses will be able to use their federal Business Number for dealing with provincial ministries of Revenue and Labour, with other ministries and agencies to be included later.
To ensure that families have an easier time accessing government services, the government is continuing to improve ServiceOntario.ca. The site allows users to do government transactions online in one place -- everything from renewing a vehicle registration, to applying for a birth certificate or registering a small business.
- Each day, 50,000 users visit ServiceOntario.ca.
- In Ontario, online applications for birth certificates are processed in 15 days — or they’re free. Over 99 per cent of applications meet this deadline.
- BizPaL is an online service that provides a customized list of permits and licences needed to start or expand a business. It’s now available in 88 Ontario communities.
“This is about unleashing the potential of our people. We’re finding the right balance between protecting public safety and allowing good ideas to grow. We also recognize that people lead busy lives and they need to be able to access government when it’s convenient for them.”