Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games Names Board Of Directors
Roger Garland To Serve As Chair
Roger Garland is chair of the board that is organizing the Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games.
The five partners in the Games each identified individuals to serve on the 12-member board of directors. Members of the board, which is representative of sport, business, organizational and event experience include:
- Marcel Aubut, President-Elect, Canadian Olympic Committee
- Sylvie Bernier, Chef de Mission for Canada, 2008 Olympic Summer Games; Olympian and Pan Am Games Athlete and Medallist - Diving
- Martha G. Billes, Canadian Tire Corporation
- David Braley, President, Orlick Industries Limited
- Michael Chambers, President, Canadian Olympic Committee
- Tony Gagliano, Executive Chairman, CEO of St. Joseph Communications
- Sandra Levy, Director, Human Resources, Magna Exteriors and Interiors Corporation; Olympian - Field Hockey
- Carla Qualtrough, BSSc, LLB; President, Canadian Paralympic Committee; Paralympian
- Chris Rudge, CEO and Secretary General, Canadian Olympic Committee
- Victoria Winter, Partner, Beard Winter LLP; Pan Am Games Athlete and Medallist - Dressage
- Andrew Wright, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, CB Richard Ellis
Toronto hosts the Pan/Parapan American Games in summer 2015. The Games will create thousands of construction jobs, improve sports infrastructure, and bring 250,000 athletes, coaches and tourists to Ontario.
The board will select a CEO in the coming weeks, assist in building the senior management team and begin Games planning.
- In 2007, the Pan/Parapan American Games were held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Over 5,000 athletes took part.
- Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Village will be located at the heart of the Games on an 80-acre site next to the Don River in Toronto's waterfront district.
“Ontario is excited about the prospect of hosting the 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games. Our athletes will have friends and family cheering them on. The Games will leave a lasting legacy of top-notch sporting facilities. And we will build stronger ties with the people of the Americas and the Caribbean.”
“I have tremendous confidence in the team which has been created to bring our shared vision into a reality for the Pan/Parapan American Games. I am confident that their combined energy, experience and passion for sport will create the foundation for outstanding leadership and inspiration upon which Ontario will build on to host a truly memorable event.”
“The board will be an advocate of accountable and pragmatic decision-making by members who bring to the table valuable experience critical to achieving the sport, social, cultural and economic goals related to these Games.”
“Toronto is looking forward to showcasing our city to all the international athletes and visitors alike. The depth of talent and experience on the HostCo Board will assure we are able to put on a Pan Am Games that allow us to do exactly that.”
“The foundation set with this board will be an important resource to the 2015 management team and its goal of hosting an exceptional Games which will leave a tremendous legacy for sport and the Greater Toronto Area community.”
“Our board brings together a range of perspectives and experience that will ensure the 2015 Games are inclusive and celebrate diversity for the benefit of all athletes, spectators and everyone involved.”
“Hosting these Games is a unique opportunity to enhance athlete development, sport infrastructure, community resources and so much more. Working on this event is a significant privilege and responsibility for me and my board colleagues.”