Ontario Celebrates Innovation Excellence With New Award
Premier's Innovation Awards Recognize Homegrown Talent
From pioneering ways to save the lives of stroke victims to creating a desktop DNA analyzer for infectious disease, Ontario's legacy of innovation continues to grow.
Ten exceptional people and businesses were selected as the 2010 winners of the prestigious Premier's Innovation Awards.
Premier Dalton McGuinty marked today's introduction of Ontario's Water Opportunities Act by announcing a one-time Premier's Catalyst Award for Water Innovation for 2011.
The Premier's Innovation Awards are accompanied by financial investments -- ranging from $200,000 to $5 million -- to help recipients advance their cutting-edge innovations. Homegrown solutions mean Ontario can compete globally and create high-skilled jobs in the province.
The 2010 Premier's Innovation Awards include:
- Premier's Summit Awards in Medical Research
- Premier's Discovery Award for Natural Sciences and Engineering
- Premier's Catalyst Award for Start-up Company with the Best Innovation
- Premier's Catalyst Award for Best Young Innovator
- Ontario investments in research and innovation leveraged $1.1 billion between 2005 and 2008, while helping advance the knowledge, skills and training of almost 30,000 people.
- Almost 5,000 jobs have been created or retained in Ontario as a result of provincial investments in research and innovation since 2005.
- The Water Opportunities Act, introduced today as part of the Open Ontario Plan, will create more jobs and export opportunities making Ontario the clean water capital of North America.
- Past winners of the Premier's Innovation Awards have created better cancer screening technologies, changed the landscape of film making and helped protect lakes and rivers.
“The pioneers we celebrate today are laying the foundation for growth in our province and inventing our future. They represent what our new Open Ontario Plan is all about -- strengthening our economy by recognizing and seizing new opportunities in the water sector, and beyond.”
“The Premier's Innovation Awards are a celebration of innovative people and innovative thinking. Our government is focused on supporting their efforts and creating the jobs of today and tomorrow.”
“The Premier's Summit Award in Medical Research not only shines a spotlight on the top-ranked science here in Ontario, but this funding demonstrates a deep commitment to advancing our ability to better understand, diagnose, treat and prevent disease.”