Royal Tour Celebrates Diamond Jubilee
Premier McGuinty Welcomes Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall To Ontario
Premier Dalton McGuinty welcomed His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall to Ontario last night. Together, with emergency services workers and their families, they enjoyed the annual Victoria Day fireworks display at Ashbridges Bay in Toronto.
The Royal Tour is part of year-long celebrations to mark Her Majesty The Queen's 60 years on the throne. Today, Their Royal Highnesses celebrate Ontario's spirit of service and innovation. The itinerary includes:
- Lieutenant Governor's Diamond Jubilee medal ceremony
- Digital Media Zone presentation at Ryerson University
- Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games Athletes' Village site tour
- Government of Ontario reception at the Distillery District
- Yonge Street Mission visit
- UforChange presentation.
Premier McGuinty announced the Province's Official Gift during his remarks at the Ontario reception. A portion of the Pan Am Athletes' Village will be renamed "The Front Street Diamond Jubilee Promenade". The gift follows the tradition that official gifts to the Royal Family should remain in Ontario and benefit its citizens.
- The Ontario reception at the Distillery District will feature local food prepared by some of Ontario's leading chefs.
- His Royal Highness will meet some of Ontario's most innovative entrepreneurs from four companies at Ryerson's Digital Media Zone. The companies are Bionik Labs, 500 px, Greengage and Flybits.
“Through 60 years of social change, technological revolution and economic transformation, Her Majesty has shown an extraordinary generosity of spirit. Ontarians share that spirit, and we're honoured to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee with Their Royal Highnesses today.”