Ontario Unveils Plan for New Infrastructure Fund
Helping Small, Rural and Northern Municipalities Build Roads and Bridges
The new Ontario government plans to create a fund of $100 million for 2013 - 2014, to help small, rural and Northern municipalities build roads, bridges and other critical infrastructure.
The government recognizes the unique needs of these communities and the importance of high quality infrastructure in all areas of the province. This would also help support the local economy and construction jobs across Ontario.
This investment would be the first step of a comprehensive transportation plan for rural and Northern Ontario. Making sure every part of the province can move with ease is part of the government's plan to create jobs and build a prosperous and fair Ontario.
- The new fund would be available by October 1, 2013.
- The province will consult on the components of a permanent program for roads, bridges and critical infrastructure investments in small, rural and Northern municipalities.
- The government recognizes the importance of infrastructure and has invested approximately $85 billion in public infrastructure since 2003.
- The Conference Board of Canada recently found that each $100 million of public infrastructure investment in Ontario boosts GDP by $114 million, particularly in the construction and manufacturing sectors.
- The 2013 Budget will be presented to the Ontario Legislative Assembly on Thursday.
“Across the province, Ontario’s infrastructure challenges require tailored solutions. This fund would help small, rural and Northern communities build the infrastructure they need, while creating jobs and building our economic prosperity.”
“We know that investing in our infrastructure creates and sustains jobs and makes communities much more attractive to investors and industry and to people who want to live and work in our rural and small communities across Ontario.”
“Our government’s infrastructure investments are strengthening communities and creating jobs for people across Ontario. This important new funding program would continue to stimulate local economies while helping municipalities take care of their most critical infrastructure priorities.”
“Our government is focused on providing rural communities with the necessary funding to strengthen infrastructure, which will attract jobs and keep our rural communities safe. I look forward to working with municipal leaders across Ontario as we move forward with this vital investment.”