Ontario Aerospace Company Doubles Capacity
Government Supporting Business Innovation, Creating Jobs
The Ontario government is providing support to COM DEV International Ltd. to double its production capacity and create 75 new jobs and retain another 917 jobs.
With support from the province's Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, the company will expand its facility and invest in innovative technology to improve efficiency, increase productivity and lower environmental impacts.
COM DEV is a leading global designer and manufacturer of advanced space hardware. Over 80 per cent of commercial communications satellites ever launched worldwide have included COM DEV technology.
Helping Ontario businesses stay competitive and grow is part of the government's economic plan that is creating jobs for today and tomorrow. The comprehensive plan and its six priorities focus on Ontario's greatest strength - its people and strategic partnerships.
- Ontario is providing a grant of $1 million to support COM DEV’s substantial investment in this project.
- COM DEV International Ltd. is headquartered in Cambridge, Ontario and employs more than 1,200 people across its facilities in Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- This January, Ontario launched the Northleaf Venture Catalyst Fund to attract more investments to the province and help businesses compete globally.
- The Southwestern Ontario Development Fund was established following the success of the Eastern Ontario Development Fund. Together these two funds have created and retained more than 24,000 jobs and strengthened local economies.
- The Southwestern Ontario Development Fund is helping to create jobs and diversify the economy by encouraging regional businesses to pursue innovation and new markets. To date, the fund has helped create and protect approximately 9,000 jobs throughout southwestern Ontario.
“Ontario’s aerospace industry is an important part of our future, and our government’s partnership will help it innovate and grow. Today’s investment will strengthen COM DEV’s ability to compete in the global marketplace while creating good jobs here in Ontario.”
“Ontario remains committed to attracting investment and improving the competitiveness of the aerospace industry. Through the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, we are helping COM DEV grow its business and bring high-paying, quality jobs to Ontario.”
“We are pleased that the Ontario government is supporting the modernization and expansion of our world class space-qualified electroplating facility. This unique process capability will ensure that COM DEV can address the exacting standards and growing demands of the satellite industry.”