Repost: State-of-the-Art Hospital Opening in Oakville
Ontario Investing up to $2.27 Billion to Enhance Health Care and Patients’ Experience
The new Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital will open its doors on December 13, providing expanded health care services and an improved patient experience. The facility is triple the size of the existing Oakville hospital it will replace.
Ontario is investing up to $2.27 billion in this project, which is being delivered on time and on budget. Premier Kathleen Wynne was at the hospital November 17 to celebrate the completion of the new facility. The new complex will offer an array of benefits to patients, including:
- Up to 457 inpatient beds ready on opening day, which represents an increase of 135 beds from the current hospital.
- A full range of health services, including maternal and child care, critical care, emergency care, surgery, complex continuing care, rehabilitation, diagnostics, ambulatory care and a variety of support services.
- Inpatient and outpatient mental health services for adults, adolescents and children.
- Enhanced patient privacy and infection-prevention measures, including 80 per cent single-patient rooms.
- Patient-centred enhancements such as oversized windows, patient-controlled lighting and temperature, room service food delivery, and patient rooms with a pull-out couch so a family member can stay overnight with a loved one.
- Calm, quiet indoor and outdoor spaces.
The government is investing more than $130 billion over 10 years in infrastructure such as roads, bridges, transit, hospitals and schools -- the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario's history. The Province plans to provide more than $11 billion in hospital capital grants over 10 years to improve infrastructure in the health care sector.
Improving access to health care is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- The new Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital will provide a number of services not offered at the current hospital, including a cancer clinic, stress echocardiography tests for heart disease and endoscopy ultrasounds.
- The new hospital will provide a quieter environment by using wireless technology rather than a paging system for non-emergency messages, and it will process specimens and deliver results more quickly by using laboratory robotics.
- Construction on the new Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital began in September 2011, and, at its peak, more than 1,400 workers were on-site daily.
- The 1.6 million square foot facility is about the same size as the Toronto Eaton Centre.
- This is one of the the largest Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) projects in the province. Ontario’s innovative AFP model makes the best use of private-sector resources and expertise to deliver large public infrastructure projects on time and on budget.
“By investing in vital infrastructure like hospitals — and in the health care system supported by that infrastructure — we are ensuring that people in communities all across Ontario have access to the quality health care services they deserve. I am proud that the new Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital will offer a full range of health services — and a better patient experience for the people of Oakville.”
“This is a significant and exciting milestone for health care in Ontario. The new Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital will help put patients first by providing better access to high quality health care services in a modern facility.”
Dr. Eric Hoskins
“This is a historic day for the Halton community. Today's grand opening of the state-of-the-art Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital signals the beginning of a new era of high quality, patient-centered healthcare in our region. This new facility will allow us to better meet the needs of our growing community.”
“The opening of Oakville’s new state-of-the-art hospital is a significant milestone for health care in our community, and today marks the culmination of vision, collaboration, and dedication to ensuring that residents have access to high-quality health care throughout all stages of life. I am pleased that the Ontario government had the foresight to invest up to $2.27 billion — the largest by any level of government into any project in Oakville — to meet the health care needs of our community.”
“At 6 a.m. on December 13, we will open our doors and welcome the first patients to the new Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital, celebrating the start of a new chapter of health care in Oakville. This marks the completion of a journey that began more than a decade ago as we set out to build a state-of-the-art health care facility that would meet the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of our community for many years to come. Thank you to the provincial and municipal governments, our Foundation and Volunteers and the residents of the Town of Oakville for supporting us on this journey and making an incredible investment in the health of our community.”