Celebrating Ontario's Outstanding Seniors
Ontario Honours Recipients of Senior Achievement Awards
Ontario is recognizing 20 outstanding seniors for their significant contributions to their communities and the province.
This year's Senior Achievement Awards recipients include:
- Twin brothers whose dedication to engineering has contributed to improving water and wastewater systems around the world.
- A founding member of a local Bruce Trail Association who helped to build and maintain the most northern section of the trail.
- A suicide survivor who is using her experience to educate medical students about mental health.
The Senior Achievement Awards are the highest provincial honour for seniors over 65. The award is presented each year by the Lieutenant Governor.
Recognizing the valuable contributions Ontario's seniors make is part of Ontario's Action Plan for Seniors and supports the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- Since 1986, the Senior Achievement Awards have recognized outstanding seniors who have made significant contributions to their communities after the age of 65.
- According to the Volunteering and Older Adults 2013 report, baby boomers and senior adults contributed more than 1 billion volunteer hours to Ontario in 2010.
- Ontario is currently home to approximately 2 million people over the age of 65.
“I am delighted to honour these 20 seniors, who have so generously contributed to the strengthening of communities in Ontario—and even throughout the world. Through their leadership, wisdom, and talents, they bring us inspiration. We can create just and sustainable communities in Ontario.”
The Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell
“Ontario’s reputation as a caring place to live, work and raise a family is due to the incredible people that make our province great. We truly appreciate their dedication and commitment.”