Celebrating Two-Year Countdown to the 2015 Parapan American Games
Ontario to Host Largest Ever Parapan Am Games
Ontario is celebrating the two-year countdown to the 2015 Parapan American Games.
The province is proud to be host to the largest ever Parapan Am Games, attracting 1,500 athletes from 28 countries to compete in 15 sports -- with all events being qualifiers for the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. For the first time in Parapan American Games history, wheelchair rugby will be part of the competitions.
During the Games, athletes will be accommodated in the CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Athletes' Village, which will include approximately 270 accessible units.
The 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games will be one of the largest economic drivers in the region over the next two years and will benefit many communities by:
- Creating 15,000 jobs and an additional 5,200 jobs, as part of the construction and operation of the CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Athletes' Village
- Attracting 250,000 tourists to the province, showcasing Ontario as a great place to visit and do business
- Providing up to 20,000 volunteers with customer service, hands-on Games operations and health and safety training
Supporting an accessible, memorable and successful 2015 Parapan American Games is part of the Ontario government's plan to showcase the province, while creating a fair and prosperous society.
- Following the Games, the Village will be transformed into a vibrant new community that will feature affordable rental housing, with 10 per cent of the units being fully accessible.
- About 1.85 million people in Ontario have a disability.
- The Accessibility Directorate of Ontario is working with the Canadian Paralympic Committee to spotlight accessibility and promote the 2015 Parapan Am Games.
- The 2015 Games coincide with the 10th anniversary of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
“In just two years, Ontario will welcome athletes of all abilities who will inspire and elevate parasport competitions in the global arena. Hosting the 2015 Parapan Am Games will heighten awareness of Ontario’s increased parasport capacity and showcase Ontario as an accessible tourist destination.”
“By attracting the world's top para-athletes to Ontario, the Parapan Am Games will give us all an opportunity to celebrate their athleticism, their achievements and their determination. But the Parapan Am Games will do even more -- they will leave a proud and enduring legacy of parasport infrastructure that will make our communities more accessible and more inclusive for years to come.”
“We applaud the province of Ontario’s efforts in investing in sport and its commitment to diversity, inclusivity and community engagement. These significant government investments will contribute to the long-lasting impact that the Games will have on generations to come, and will enhance Ontario’s leadership in continuing to build a stronger parasport system.”