- Minister of Community and Social Services, June 2014 – February 2018
- Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, February 2013 – June 2014
- Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of the Environment, November 2011 – February 2013, September 2009 – November 2011
- Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Health Promotion, October 2007 – September 2009
- MD, University of Toronto
- Master of Health Sciences, University of Toronto
- Master of Business Administration, Schulich School of Business, York University
Personal and Family Life
- Partner (Hershel) with two children, Natasha and Nicholas
Memberships and Associations
- Volunteer, Ontario Great Lakes Renewal Foundation
- Volunteer, York Centre for Children, Youth and Families
- Volunteer, York Region District Health Council
- Volunteer, Giant Steps Toronto
- Volunteer, Newmarket Stingrays Swim Club
- Volunteer, Toronto Region Immigrant Employment Council
Honours and Awards
- Outstanding Alumni Mentor Award, University of Toronto’s Public Health sciences alumni association
- Distinguished Service Award, Association of Local Public Health Agencies
- In Celebration of Women Award, Medical Leadership in York Region
- Planning Excellence in Environmental Planning Award, Canadian Institute of Planners
Dr. Helena Jaczek was first elected to the Ontario legislature in 2007 as the MPP for Oak Ridges-Markham. She was re-elected in 2011 and 2014.
Jaczek currently serves as Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, as well as Chair of Cabinet.
She has previously served as Minister of Community and Social Services, as well as Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, the Minister of the Environment and the Minister of Health Promotion.
Dr. Jaczek has also served on the Standing Committee on Social Policy, as Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on General Government, the Select Committee on Mental Health and Addictions, and the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs.
After coming to Canada from England as a 12 year old, Dr. Jaczek later received her medical degree and Master of Health Sciences from the University of Toronto and a Master of Business Administration from the Schulich School of Business at York University.
After many years in general practice on staff at Women’s College Hospital in Toronto, Dr. Jaczek became the Medical Officer of Health and Commissioner of Health Services for the Regional Municipality of York. During her 18 years in this position, she was responsible for public health, land ambulance and long-term care in a region of more than one million people.
Dr. Jaczek has been actively involved with numerous community organizations, including the Ontario Great Lakes Renewal Foundation, York Centre for Children, Youth and Families, York Region District Health Council, Giant Steps Toronto and Newmarket Stingrays Swim Club. She has volunteered with the Toronto Region Immigrant Employment Council and mentored foreign-trained professionals.
She has received the Outstanding Alumni Mentor Award from the University of Toronto’s Public Health Sciences Alumni association; Distinguished Service Award from the Association of Local Public Health Agencies; In Celebration of Women award for her medical leadership in York Region; and Award for Planning Excellence in Environmental Planning from the Canadian Institute of Planners.
Dr. Jaczek lives in York Region with her partner, Hershel. She is the mother of two adult children, Natasha and Nicholas.