- Minister Responsible for Seniors Affairs, February 2013 – present
- Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, November 2011 – February 2013, March 2006 – January 2010
- Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services, January 2010 – November 2011
- Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister Responsible for Seniors, September 2004 – March 2006
- Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Consumer and Business Services, October 2003 – September 2004
- Councillor, Metro Toronto
- City Councillor, North York
Personal and Family Life
- Married (Rose) with two sons and four grandchildren
Memberships and Associations
- Founding Member, COSTI
- Member, York Finch Hospital Board
- Co-chair, United Way of North York
- Co-chair Children’s Aid Society
- Co-chair, American Public Works Association
- Director, Canadian Italian Business and Professional Association
- Member, Knights of Columbus
- Member, Knights of Malta Order of St. John’s
Honours and Awards
- Cavaliere (Knight) from President of Italy
- Golden Lion Award from the Region of Calabria, Italy
Mario Sergio was first elected to the Ontario legislature in 1995 as the MPP for Yorkview. He was elected as the MPP for York West in 1999, then re-elected in 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2014.
Sergio currently serves as Minister Responsible for Senior Affairs. He has served as Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Consumer and Business Services, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing and Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
Sergio first entered public office in 1978, when he was elected to the City of North York Council. He was Chair and a member of North York’s Planning Board Committee for 14 years.
Sergio has served on the Metro Toronto Council, where he was Chair of the Metro Transportation Committee. He was also on the Public Works Committee, the Metro Toronto Housing Authority, the Metro Toronto Region Conservation Authority and the Canadian National Exhibition Board.
Before entering politics, Sergio was a registered general insurance and real estate broker. At age 21, he started his own general insurance business while working as a life insurance agent. In 1969, he started a real estate brokerage, which he operated until his municipal election win nine years later.
Sergio’s community service spans more than 35 years. He was a founding member of COSTI; a member of the York Finch Hospital Board; co-chair of the United Way of North York, the Children’s Aid Society and American Public Works Association; and director of the Canadian Italian Business and Professional Association. He is also a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Knights of Malta Order of St. John’s.
Sergio has been awarded the title Cavaliere (Knight) of the Italian Republic by the President of the Republic of Italy for his work within the Italian community. He has also been recognized by the Italian region of Calabria with the Golden Lion Award, which he received in Rome for work he has accomplished in Canada and Italy.
Sergio was born in Italy in 1940. He and his wife, Rose, have two sons and four grandchildren.