Ontario Launches Third Round of Local Poverty Reduction Fund
Province Supporting Innovative, Community-Driven Solutions to Poverty
Ontario is inviting community, broader public sector and Indigenous organizations to submit proposals for the third round of the Local Poverty Reduction Fund.
Through the fund, Ontario is investing in local programs that will help break the cycle of poverty for children and youth, increase employment and income security and end homelessness in Ontario, including:
- Up to $5 million for food security-related projects to help achieve a vision of a province where every person is food secure, to support them in leading healthy and active lives
- Up to $3.3 million for homelessness related initiatives in 2017
- At least $2 million to support projects in Indigenous communities and by Indigenous-led organizations.
By identifying effective local, community-driven solutions to tackle poverty, we can make a difference for those living in poverty, share knowledge, and use the evidence gathered from these projects to expand successful solutions across the province.
Fighting poverty is part of Ontario’s plan to create jobs, grow the economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- The Local Poverty Reduction Fund is part of the province’s Poverty Reduction Strategy and focuses on innovative programs that target groups disproportionately affected by poverty including women, single parents, people with disabilities, youth, newcomers, visible minorities, seniors and Indigenous Peoples.
- The fund, announced in April 2015 and now in its third year, provides $50 million over six years to support innovative, local, community-driven solutions that measurably improve the lives of those most affected by poverty.
- This is the last of three calls for proposals. Over the last two years, Ontario has supported 71 projects in 30 communities with a total investment of over $28.9 million.
- The deadline for applications is June 28, 2017. More information about the application process, timelines and resources is available at Ontario Trillium Foundation.
- Communities and organizations interested in applying for funding can access a range of supports including webinars, workshops and one-on-one sessions. These enhanced supports will help promote local partnerships, encourage knowledge-sharing and assist applicants in preparing strong project proposals.
“Despite our prosperity as a province, we recognize that not everyone has felt the benefits of the economic recovery. Our government is focused on tackling the root causes of poverty and working to make life easier for everyone in Ontario through the Local Poverty Reduction Fund. These efforts are helping government, communities and all of our partners design and deliver more effective programs that are making a real difference in the lives of people working hard to leave poverty behind.”