Ontario Boosting Economic Growth in Ayr
Province Investing in Local Manufacturer to Create Jobs
Ontario is partnering with Unilock to build a new manufacturing plant in Ayr, creating 16 new jobs in addition to the plant's 61 existing positions.
Unilock manufactures concrete interlocking paving stones and retaining wall segments used in backyard patios, driveways and landscaping features.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, Unilock is building a new wetcast manufacturing plant, which will be its third plant in North Dumfries Township. The new plant will be dedicated solely to manufacturing one of the company's most popular product lines. This will help boost productivity and competitiveness, increasing exports and revenues.
Investing in manufacturing is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is investing $1.5 million through the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund for this project, supporting an additional investment of over $25 million from Unilock, for a total value of more than $27 million. The project is expected to be completed in spring 2018.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund and Eastern Ontario Development Fund have helped to create and retain approximately 40,600 jobs and attracted approximately $2.0 billion in investment. The funds cover up to 15 per cent of eligible project costs, with the recipient company funding the remainder from its own resources.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Ontario’s five-year, $650-million Business Growth Initiative is helping to grow the economy and create jobs by promoting an innovation-based economy, helping small companies scale-up and modernizing regulations for businesses.
- Unilock opened its first production facility in Barrie in 1973, and now has four production facilities in Ontario and seven in the U.S.
“Our government’s investment is helping Unilock keep up with demand, enhance its competitiveness and create good jobs in the community. Supporting innovative manufacturers is a key focus of our government, and the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund is just one of the ways we are helping businesses succeed and grow.”
“Our government is always pleased to support companies like Unilock, which are keen to grow and expand in Ontario. The company has built a strong presence in the Township of North Dumfries over the last 30 years, and this new facility will do much to boost the economy and provide good jobs to the people of Waterloo Region.”
“We are proud to provide Ontario homeowners, architects, engineers and contractors with superior products. We intend to continue that strong commitment to innovative manufacturing with our expansion in the thriving community of Ayr.”