Ontario Boosting Economic Growth in Collingwood
Province Investing in Local Manufacturing
Ontario is partnering with Pilkington Glass of Canada Ltd. to help them invest in new technologies and grow their business, creating 58 jobs and retaining 237 positions.
Ann Hoggarth, MPP for Barrie, made the announcement today on behalf of Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business.
Pilkington Glass of Canada manufactures windshields for the automotive industry, supplying companies such as Honda, Toyota, GM, Chrysler and Nissan.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, the company will add new lamination and assembly lines to its production facility in Collingwood. This will help Pilkington produce up to 2.6 million windshields per year, up from 1.8 million currently.
Investing in manufacturing is part of our plan to create jobs, grow the economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is investing $436,400 through the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $3,927,400 from Pilkington Glass Canada, for a total value of $4,363,800. The project is expected to be completed in March 2019.
- The auto industry contributes around $16 billion annually to Ontario’s GDP.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund and Eastern Ontario Development Fund have helped to create and retain approximately 40,600 jobs and attracted approximately $2.0 billion in investment. The funds cover up to 15 per cent of eligible project costs, with the recipient company funding the remainder from its own resources.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Ontario’s five-year, $650-million Business Growth Initiative is helping to grow the economy and create jobs by promoting an innovation-based economy, helping small companies scale-up and modernizing regulations for businesses.
“Our government’s support for Pilkington Glass is helping them expand production and create new jobs in the community. These strategic investments in the manufacturing sector are one of the ways we’re helping companies succeed and grow by adopting new technologies and expanding their operations.”
“Regional investments through the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund help spur innovation and create jobs for hard-working people. With this investment, Pilkington Glass will be able to grow its business and diversify its product design and manufacturing capabilities to meet future demand while creating jobs in Collingwood.”
“This is a great opportunity for us to partner with the Ontario government as our business continues to grow in Collingwood. With this investment, we will make modifications to our facility and install new equipment to increase production and stay competitive.”