Ontario Driving Economic Growth and Creating Jobs in Kitchener
Province Investing in Advanced Manufacturing
Ontario is partnering with Kuntz Electroplating Inc. (KEI) to help the company innovate and expand its business, creating 25 new jobs and retaining 408 positions in Kitchener.
Daiene Vernile, MPP for Kitchener-Centre, made the announcement today on behalf of Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business, at KEI's Kitchener facility.
KEI is a leading supplier of polished, painted and electroplated components to the global automotive, motorcycle, heavy truck and recreational vehicle industries. It supplies exterior nickel-chrome parts such as step boards and roof rails for Ford, General Motors, Toyota/Lexus and others. The company also supplies engine and trim components to Harley-Davidson, Polaris/Indian and Bombardier Recreational Products.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, the company is expanding and modernizing its equipment, including one of its four computer-automated electroplating lines. KEI will also build an automated material handling system, which will increase precision and improve productivity - helping to save costs.
Investing in advanced manufacturing is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is investing $1,080,900 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $9,728,100 from Kuntz Electroplating Inc., for a total value of $10,809,000. The project is expected to be completed in August 2020.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund and Eastern Ontario Development Fund have helped to create and retain approximately 40,600 jobs and attracted approximately $2 billion in investment. The funds cover up to 15 per cent of eligible project costs, with the recipient company funding the remainder from its own resources.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Ontario’s five-year, $650 million Business Growth Initiative is helping to grow the economy and create jobs by promoting an innovation-based economy, helping small companies scale-up and modernizing regulations for businesses.
- Find out if your business qualifies for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund
- Southwestern Ontario Development Fund grant recipients
“Kuntz Electroplating is exactly the type of the innovative manufacturing company the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund was established to support. Our government’s investment is helping enhance the company’s competitiveness, creating new jobs and boosting economic growth in the Kitchener-Waterloo region.”
“Supporting forward-thinking companies like Kuntz Electroplating – a major employer in Kitchener – is a strategic investment. Through this project, the company is staying ahead in this competitive sector and creating jobs. Today’s announcement shows how key government support can bolster local economies and strengthen communities.”
“At Kuntz Electroplating, we know that adding value through innovation and technology is key to competing in today’s manufacturing landscape. We are pleased to partner with the Ontario government to expand our business and bring more jobs to our community.”
Robert Kuntz Jr.