Ontario Supporting Jobs and Business Expansion in Barrie
Prodomax Automation Investment to Support More Than 150 Jobs
Ontario is partnering with Prodomax Automation Ltd. to help expand its facilities, creating 20 new jobs and retaining 133 positions in Barrie.
Ann Hoggarth, MPP for Barrie, made the announcement today on behalf of Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business.
Prodomax Automation is an industrial engineering firm focused on designing complex manufacturing production systems for automotive companies specializing in robotic welding, laser cutting and material handling. The company is one of the largest automation integrators in North America having delivered over a billion dollars' worth of equipment since 1971 to its customers who in turn build parts for companies including Chrysler, Ford, GM, Mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagen.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, Prodomax will expand its current facility, invest in state-of-the-art equipment and improving its production capabilities. These enhancements will allow the company to expand its product line, take on more business and compete on a global stage.
Supporting business investment in southwest Ontario is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is investing $233,800 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund for this project, supporting an additional investment of $2,689,200 from Prodomax Automation. The project is expected to be completed by October 2020.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund and Eastern Ontario Development Fund have helped to create and retain over 45,000 jobs and have attracted approximately $2.2 billion in investment. The funds cover up to 15 per cent of eligible project costs, with the recipient company funding the remainder from its own resources.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Ontario’s five-year, $650-million Business Growth Initiative is helping to grow the economy and create jobs by promoting an innovation-based economy, helping small companies scale-up and “modernizing regulations for businesses.
- Find out if your business qualifies for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund
- Southwestern Ontario Development Fund grant recipients
“Supporting manufacturers in their efforts to modernize and innovate is a top priority for our government. Our partnership with Prodomax is helping the company expand, create new jobs and grow the economy in Barrie, just one of many ways we are fostering an environment for the sector to succeed and grow.”
“I want to congratulate Prodomax Automations on all of their success over the last number of years. Creating these jobs makes our community stronger while enhancing the value of our business sector. The City of Barrie is full of endless possibilities. I am thrilled that this company has recognized its potential and chosen to expand their business operations here.”
“Our company has come a long way since its inception in 1971 when it was founded in a garage in Barrie. Through these partnerships, we are able to almost double our plant space to over 200,000 square feet and prepare ourselves for the next wave of automotive innovation. Thank you to the provincial government for encouraging this initiative. On behalf of our Co-CEO Don Leslie and myself, the Prodomax Team is excited to be expanding our technology portfolio and embrace the opportunities that are presenting themselves in our industry.”
Carolyn McGoey Garvey