Ontario Supporting New Jobs and Business Investment in Welland
Partnerships with Hydac Corporation and Northern Gold Foods to Create 65 New Jobs
Ontario is partnering with Hydac Corporation and Northern Gold Foods to help the companies create 65 new jobs and retain 33 existing positions in Welland.
Jim Bradley, MPP for St. Catharines, made the announcement today on behalf of Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business.
Hydac Corporation specializes in hydraulics and fluid management systems for use in industries such as manufacturing, energy, mining, agriculture, forestry and materials handling. The Welland facility is part of Hydac's worldwide operations, based in Germany.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, Hydac is increasing its engineering, testing and production personnel, expanding its premises and adding state-of-the-art test equipment, new painting facilities and an in-house service department. These enhancements will enable the Welland location to design and manufacture systems in-house that were previously built in Germany and shipped for installation.
Northern Gold Foods makes breakfast and snack products marketed under its own brands, plus private-label products. The B.C.-based company also provides ingredients for the food industry.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, the company is building its first production facility in the province that will feature two high-speed production lines. The new location will also become the company's first peanut-free facility and will provide Northern Gold Foods with much-needed additional capacity. The Ontario expansion will help the company increase sales across the U.S. and Canada.
Supporting business investment in Southwest Ontario is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Hydac Corporation project: Ontario is investing $370,600 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $3,335,400 from Hydac Corporation. The project will create 10 new jobs, help to retain 33 existing positions, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2019.
- Northern Gold Foods project: Ontario is investing $1,425,000 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $8,075,000 from Northern Gold Foods. The project will create 55 jobs and is expected to be completed in the fall of 2019.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund and Eastern Ontario Development Fund have helped to create and retain approximately 40,600 jobs and have attracted approximately $2 billion in investment. The funds cover up to 15 per cent of eligible project costs, with the recipient company funding the remainder from its own resources.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Ontario’s five-year, $650-million Business Growth Initiative is helping to grow the economy and create jobs by promoting an innovation-based economy, helping small companies scale-up and modernizing regulations for businesses.
“Our government’s partnerships with Hydac and Northern Gold Foods are helping these innovative companies expand their operations, increase competitiveness and create new jobs in Welland. Through the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, we are fostering economic growth in local economies by investing in the manufacturing and food-processing sectors, both key priorities of our government.”
“I’m delighted that Hydac and Northern Gold Foods chose the Welland community to build their businesses and create good, local jobs. The Niagara Region offers a skilled workforce and efficient access to North American markets, and I’m proud that our government takes a proactive role in spurring business growth.”
“The Systems Engineering Development Project adds exciting new capabilities to our Welland operation and will offer significant advantages for our customers throughout North America. By bringing the design, engineering, testing and production functions in-house, we have become the North American hub for Hydac Systems and are able to offer customized and innovative systems solutions for many applications across a wide range of industries.”
“Our new Welland plant is a major milestone in the evolution of Northern Gold Foods and we are excited to be building our team in the Niagara region. This will be our second manufacturing facility and our state-of-the-art production technology, combined with industry-leading allergen controls, will enable us to service our eastern and mid-west customers.”