Ontario Supporting Over 460 Jobs in Barrie
Province Partners with Local Companies to Drive Economic Growth
Ontario is partnering with Canplas Industries Ltd., Beta Tech Inc. and Theta TTS Inc. to help the companies create 94 new jobs and retain 370 existing positions in Barrie.
Ann Hoggarth, MPP for Barrie, made the announcement today at Canplas Industries on behalf of Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business.
Canplas Industries designs and manufactures plastic products used in the construction industry. The company specializes in four areas -- plumbing, ventilation, central vacuum and grease separation -- and its products are used in residential and commercial buildings all over North America.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, Canplas Industries is investing in state-of-the-art production equipment, developing new product lines and adding an additional 17,000 square feet to its facilities. These enhancements will help the company increase production, boost efficiency and begin exporting to Europe.
Beta Tech Inc. produces metal stamping parts and designs and manufactures tooling and assembly equipment used in the automotive industry. The company also offers tooling design and repair services to customers including major automotive suppliers throughout North America.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, Beta Tech is investing in new production technology and equipment, including 3D scanning capabilities, and adding 22,500 square feet to its facilities. The investment will enable the company to meet demand for new orders while also reducing lead times and achieving greater precision.
Theta TTS Inc. is a full-service parts supplier of stamped metal parts and assemblies to the auto industry worldwide. The company specializes in the production of fine stamped parts, progressive and stamped components, including the design, development and manufacturing of custom tooling and associated processes.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, Theta TTS will be purchasing a new state-of-the-art fine blanking press and auxiliary equipment to support production. These investments will streamline the company's in-house stamping processes to maximize productivity and reduce lead times. Ultimately, these changes will allow Theta TTS to double its capacity in this market segment.
Supporting business investment in southwest Ontario is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- Canplas Industries project: Ontario is investing $663,700 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $6,423,300 from the company. The project will create 30 new jobs, help to retain 143 existing positions and is expected to be completed by December 2020.
- Beta Tech Inc. project: Ontario is investing $800,000 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $11,636,155 from the company. The project will create 45 new jobs, help to retain 65 existing positions and is expected to be completed by June 2019.
- Theta TTS Inc. project: Ontario is investing $554,000 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $4,986,000. The project will create 19 new jobs, help to retain 162 existing positions and is expected to be completed by June 2021.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund has committed support of over $153 million, helping to create and retain around 39,000 jobs and leveraging over $1.87 billion in total investments.
“Our partnership with these innovative local companies is helping them expand their operations, create good jobs and grow the economy in Barrie. Supporting Ontario’s automotive and advanced manufacturing sectors is a key priority for our government, helping local communities thrive and grow.”
“Regional investments through the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund help spur innovation and strengthen our local economy. We are pleased to support these forward-thinking companies grow their businesses, which will create jobs for hard-working people in Barrie and Simcoe County while helping the province stay competitive.”
“For more than 50 years, Canplas has been a leader in the construction plastics industry based on our belief in the value of continuous innovation, stringent quality and an unrelenting commitment to customer service. This investment marks another chapter in the continuing growth and development of our company.”
Ron Marsden, President
“These investments in industry-leading technology and facility upgrades will enable Beta Tech to offer even greater flexibility and technical capabilities benefiting our valued customers. We look forward to expanding our company’s role as a value-added member of the continent’s auto industry supply chain.”
“Theta TTS takes pride in offering superior expertise and quality. With these latest enhancements to our manufacturing processes, we are looking forward to offering even greater value to our customers in the automotive industry.”