Ontario Partners with Nestlé Canada to Support Over 390 Jobs in London
Province Supporting Significant Investment to Grow the Economy
Ontario is partnering with Nestlé Canada to drive economic growth in southwestern Ontario by supporting the company's significant investment at its ice cream facility in London, creating 12 new jobs and supporting 380 existing positions.
Kathryn McGarry, MPP for Cambridge, made the announcement today at Nestlé Canada in London on behalf of Steven Del Duca, Minister of Economic Development and Growth.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, Nestlé Canada is investing in expanding its London 401 Ice Cream Factory. The expansion is helping the company modernize its manufacturing processes to allow for greater flexibility within the production lines.
Nestlé Canada, a subsidiary of Nestlé, sells a wide range of products including chocolate, coffee, frozen meals and pet products. The ice cream and frozen desserts division is based in London, where popular brands like Häagen-Dazs, Parlour and Drumstick are manufactured.
Supporting business investment in southwest Ontario is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- Ontario is investing $390,750 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $2,214,250 from the company.
- Ontario’s funding supports one stage of a four-phased expansion plan by Nestlé Canada in which the company is investing a total of $51.5 million.
- Nestlé Canada employs approximately 3,500 people in over 20 manufacturing, sales and distribution sites across Canada.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund has committed support of over $163 million, helping to create and retain around 41,000 jobs and leveraging over $1.92 billion in total investments.
“Our government is making strategic partnerships with companies like Nestlé Canada to support their growth plan that’s bringing good jobs to London. This expansion is helping the company continue to innovate and bring new products to the market, while providing a boost to our local economy”
“We are pleased to support Nestlé’s significant investment in southwestern Ontario’s food processing and dairy sector. Our support for Nestlé Canada through the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund is helping create good jobs and economic opportunities for workers, dairy farmers and communities throughout the London area.”
“At Nestlé Canada, we are proud to being a significant contributor to Ontario’s food processing and dairy sector. We are delighted to receive this support from the province to help us increase our competitiveness and make positive impact for the people of London and the region.”