Investments Supporting Over 600 Jobs in Eastern Ontario
Province Partners with Local Businesses to Boost Regional Economic Growth
Ontario is partnering with Canada Candy Company, Muskoka Rock Company, Panolam Industries, Armada Toolworks and Mariposa Dairy to create 110 new jobs and support 496 existing positions in the eastern region.
Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business, made the announcement today at Canada Candy Company Inc. in Cobourg with Steven Del Duca, Minister of Economic Development and Growth, and Lou Rinaldi, MPP for Northumberland-Quinte West.
Canada Candy Company is a leading consumer-packaged goods company that manufactures sugar candy confectionary for retail sale, re-packing and private label, and was the first candy company in North America to offer peanut-free, kosher and halal products. With support from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the company has built a state-of-the-art facility to make new types of gummy candies. With the new facility and equipment, the company is in-sourcing the production of the high quality candy it is known for.
Armada Toolworks is one of the few auto component manufacturers in eastern Ontario, specializing in door handle and interior systems including vents and speakers, and decorative trim components. With support from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the company will install a new assembly line and increase press capabilities of up to 1,000-tons. This will help the company to make higher-value large components, including glove boxes and door handles, allowing the company to remain competitive and grow its operations.
Mariposa Dairy produces high quality cheese using 100 per cent Ontario sourced goat and sheep milk. The company is the second largest goat cheese manufacturer in Canada and produces over 20 cheese products. With support from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the company is investing in new automated equipment to increase the current processing capabilities by more than 60 per cent. With new production lines for hard and soft cheese products, the company will take advantage of new opportunities in the specialty cheese market and food service sector.
Muskoka Rock Company is the largest manufacturer in Ontario that extracts and cuts Muskoka granite, which is finished into a full range of products with unique colours and textures for both interior and exterior use. With support from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the company plans to build a new manufacturing facility to shift production of premium granite from outside the province to Huntsville. This will lower overall production cost, while assisting the company with plans for continued growth. The company is also investing in new equipment to create new products for Ontario, Canada and new international markets.
Panolam Industries designs, manufactures and distributes thermally fused laminate panels and high-pressure laminate sheets for cabinet and furniture manufacturers throughout the U.S. and Canada. With support from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the company is investing in retrofitting and upgrading of a manufacturing line that will improve plant productivity, address capacity constraints and increase exports to the U.S.
Ontario's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- Canada Candy Company: Ontario is investing $1,292,400 from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $9,477,175 from the company. The project will create 29 new jobs, and is expected to be completed by February 2021.
- Armada Toolworks: Ontario is investing $652,500 from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $6,362,500 from the company. The project will create 29 new jobs, help to retain 257 existing positions and is expected to be completed by December 2020.
- Mariposa Dairy: Ontario is investing $1,079,402 from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $15,285,618 from the company. The project will create 18 new jobs, help to retain 85 existing positions and is expected to be completed by December 2021.
- Muskoka Rock Company: Ontario is investing $350,000 from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $2,725,000 from the company. The project will create 15 new jobs, help to retain 16 existing positions and is expected to be completed by December 2020.
- Panolam Industries: Ontario is investing $398,900 from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $2,260,500 from the company. The project will create 19 new jobs, help to retain 138 existing positions and is expected to be completed by December 2018.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Eastern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Since 2013, the Eastern Ontario Development Fund has committed support of over $50 million, helping to create and retain over 9,500 jobs and leveraging over $505 million in total investments.
- Ontario’s five-year, $650-million Business Growth Initiative is helping to grow the economy and create jobs by promoting an innovation-based economy, helping small companies scale-up and modernizing regulations for businesses.
“Supporting regional economic development is a key priority for our government. This is why the Eastern Ontario Development Fund was created, to make strategic investments in companies like these that are innovating, creating good jobs and growing local economies, driving new opportunities for people in communities across the region.”
“I am pleased that these five companies are partnering with us through our Eastern Ontario Development Fund. Our regional investment funds are helping to create good jobs and helping companies innovate, stay globally competitive and stay strong in their communities.”
Steven Del Duca
“These companies are valued members of the eastern Ontario business economy. I am delighted our government is taking part in their growth plan to foster new economic opportunities. This is great news for families in the community and I look forward to seeing them take their business to the next level.”
“The impact of receiving assistance from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund cannot be understated and has allowed Canada Candy to source the very best production and processing equipment. This has translated into the ability to make great candy with high levels of efficiency. The quality of the equipment has allowed us to quickly build product output, resulting in increased employment and putting us well ahead of our target.”