Ontario Supporting Craft Brewery and Job Creation in Niagara
Province Partners with Local Business to Strengthen Economy and Create Jobs
Ontario is partnering with Silversmith Brewing Company to help create 10 jobs and retain 15 existing positions in Niagara.
Jim Bradley, MPP for St. Catharines, made the announcement today at Silversmith Brewing Company on behalf of Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business.
Silversmith Brewing Company is an independent craft beer brewery known for its award-winning Black Lager -- a first of its kind in Ontario. The company was founded in 2011, and is located in a tourist hotspot among fruit farms, vineyards and wineries in Niagara. The brewery and beer hall operate out of a rustic, 1890s-built church, providing a unique space for visitors to enjoy brewery tours, beer, food and entertainment.
With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, Silversmith Brewing Company will expand their operations and purchase new equipment to increase their production capacity. This will allow the company to access different markets, add new products to their menu and compete on a larger scale.
Supporting business investments in southwest Ontariois part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- Ontario is investing $400,000 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $3,660,800 from the company. The project is creating 10 positions, retaining 15 and is expected to be completed by September 2022.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund has committed support of approximately $180 million, helping to create and retain around 43,000 jobs and leveraging approximately $1.97 billion in total investments.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Find out if your business qualifies for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund
- Southwestern Ontario Development Fund grant recipients
“Silversmith Brewing is a great example of how small businesses help make Ontario the best place to live, work and raise a family. The new jobs announced today are good news for local families and their community. Partnerships like this will continue to build up Ontario’s leading food and beverage sector.”
“I am pleased that investments from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund are helping to strengthen the local economy in Niagara Region. Silversmith Brewing Company brings a wealth of character and charm to the region, and this partnership will contribute to our community’s continued prosperity.”
“This expansion represents a new and exciting chapter unfolding at Silversmith Brewing Company. The investment announced today will increase our capacity to drive economic growth in our community. We are thankful to the Ontario government, and thrilled that we will continue to serve our customers a wonderful experience and great beer.”