Ontario Launches Building Smarter Government Initiative
Transformational plan will change the culture of government, focus on outcomes and improve customer experience
Ontario is embarking on a variety of large-scale transformative projects, called Smart Initiatives, to better spend taxpayer dollars and protect the sustainability of public services. Speaking at the Economic Club of Canada, President of the Treasury Board Peter Bethlenfalvy announced the plan to build smarter government and ensure it is modern, cost-effective and responsive to the needs of the people of Ontario.
"Our government promised to do things differently - to leverage technology and innovation, respect taxpayer dollars and eliminate inefficiencies. Our Smart Initiatives will build better government that works smarter for you," said Bethlenfalvy. "These Smart Initiatives are high-impact projects that will change the culture of government, ultimately providing better services and increased value for Ontarians. Together, they will help us drive efficiencies and savings for the people of Ontario, building the foundation for a modern, fiscally-sustainable system that truly puts the people at the centre of everything we do, both now, and for future generations."
Together, these Smart Initiatives will:
- Help Ontario businesses focus on what they do best - growing the economy and creating jobs;
- Streamline and modernize services and increase use of digital and shared service models;
- Use public sector buying power to drive efficiencies and support innovation; and
- Maximize value of government assets and put them to their most productive use.
Building smarter government is a critical component of Ontario's plan to do government differently. In the coming weeks and months, the government will provide ongoing updates on the progress of the Smart Initiatives and engage across government and the broader public sector to inform the design and implementation of these initiatives. In addition, a Smarter Government Task Force has been assembled to provide critical oversight of the initiatives' implementation and ensure they achieve anticipated outcomes.
"Working smarter, bringing the language of business to the business of government and bringing government into the 21st century is an important part of our plan to build Ontario together," said Bethlenfalvy. "By harnessing technology and innovation, working smarter and constantly evaluating efficiency, we will bring real change and achieve higher-quality programs and services for people."
By launching the Smart Initiatives, the government is taking action to build smarter government that is responsive and forward-thinking, while protecting the sustainability of Ontario's public services for current and future generations.
- The Smart Initiatives put into action recommendations of the EY Canada Line-by-Line Review and the Planning for Prosperity consultations.
- The Smart Initiatives are aligned with the 2019 Ontario Budget, which outlines the Province’s path to a balanced budget to protect critical public services such as health care and education.
- Last year, the Ontario government held extensive online consultations with the public and the Ontario Public Service to hear how the province can improve value for taxpayer dollars, eliminate inefficiencies and duplication and provide higher-quality public services.