Lieutenant Governor Announces 25 New Appointments to the Order of Ontario
The Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, today announced 25 new appointments to the Order of Ontario.
The 25 new Members of the Order of Ontario include:
- World-renowned concert pianist and conductor, Anton Kuerti.
- Pioneer in palliative care and advocate for the rights of the dying, Sue Bailey.
- Internationally respected surgeon and specialist in the field of obstetrics and gynecology, Dr. Hugh Allen.
The Lieutenant Governor, who is Chancellor of the Order of Ontario, will bestow the honour to the new appointees during an investiture ceremony at Queen's Park on January 20, 2016. Two members appointed in previous years will also receive their insignia during the ceremony.
The Order of Ontariois the province's highest official honour. It recognizes individuals who have demonstrated excellence and achievement in any field benefiting the people of Ontario or anywhere in the world.
- 2016 marks the 30th anniversary the Order of Ontario.
- Appointments to the Order of Ontario are made on the recommendation of an independent advisory council based on public nominations.
- The deadline for nominations is March 30, 2016.
“The Order of Ontario recognizes exemplary service of the highest calibre. These 25 accomplished individuals inspire us. From breaking ground in advances in health care, to speaking out for those who cannot speak for themselves, to nourishing our souls through art and music, they have served this province with dedication and generosity. To them we are grateful.”
The Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell