Jobs and Opportunity for Youth
New Ontario Government Plans to Tackle Youth Unemployment
The new Ontario government launched its comprehensive Youth Jobs Strategy, which would help more young people find jobs and make sure employers can hire the skilled workers they need to thrive in today's economy. A highly skilled and adaptable workforce is critical to Ontario's continued economic success.
The strategy would focus on jobs, entrepreneurship and innovation for youth in Ontario:
- Ontario Youth Employment Fund - would create new job opportunities for youth across Ontario.
- Ontario Youth Entrepreneurship Fund - supports the next generation of entrepreneurs through mentorship, startup capital and outreach.
- Ontario Youth Innovation Fund - supports youth to lead and manage industrial research, development and commercialization. It would also support young entrepreneurs at universities and colleges.
- Business-Labour Connectivity and Training Fund to bring together business, labour, educators and youth to better prepare young people to develop the skills they need to succeed.
The entire strategy would be supported by a total investment of $295 million over two years, and would create 30,000 new job opportunities.
The Youth Jobs Strategy is part of the government's plan to help Ontario's young people succeed and build a prosperous and fair Ontario.
- The $195 million Ontario Youth Employment Fund would be available as early as September 2013.
- The province will work with youth, young professionals and community partners, including the Premier’s Council on Youth Opportunities.
- Ontario has created almost 400,000 jobs since June 2009, recovering all the jobs lost during the recession.
- Ontario’s youth face persistently high unemployment. The employment rate of youth (the proportion of the population aged 15 to 24 with jobs) has also remained below its pre-recession levels.
- The 2013 Budget will be presented to the Ontario Legislative Assembly on Thursday.
- Read more about the Premier’s Council on Youth Opportunities.
“When our young people can find meaningful work, we all benefit. This Youth Jobs Strategy would help connect youth with careers they can build on and equip them with the skills they need to thrive in today’s global economy.”
“Studies show that spells of youth unemployment can have long-term social and economic consequences, leading to youth facing persistently lower wages and a higher likelihood of becoming unemployed later in life. Therefore, it is critical that this government and employers work together to pave the way for a brighter future for our youth.”
“Ontario's Youth Jobs Strategy would harness the energy and spirit of young people to make our province even stronger. Helping young people find meaningful employment has a lasting impact on our province's competitiveness and the long-term strength of our workforce.”
Dr. Eric Hoskins
“This investment is a great complement to the collective efforts underway through our Youth Action Plan and the Premier’s Council on Youth Opportunities to empower our young people to overcome barriers and build more prosperous communities. It would also enable them to gain valuable work experience and build a strong workforce for Ontario.”
“Today’s young people will be tomorrow’s leaders in an innovative economy. This strategy would ensure that Ontario’s youth have the opportunities and support they need to succeed – it’s an investment in the future of our province.”
“Providing opportunities for young people to learn the skills that will equip them for the workforce is critical. Working together, we'll prepare youth to become entrepreneurs in our innovative, competitive global economy.”